Ticker
The day’s business news at a glance
Court rejects Musk’s claims against OpenAI
A federal court on Monday dismissed claims filed against OpenAI and its top executives by Elon Musk, who accused them of betraying a shared vision for it to remain a nonprofit dedicated to guiding artificial intelligence’s development for the good of humanity.
Musk, the world’s richest man, was a co-founder of OpenAI, which launched in 2015 and went on to create ChatGPT. After investing $38 million in its first years, Musk accused OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and his top deputy of shifting into a moneymaking mode behind his back. The nine-person jury found that Musk waited too long to file his lawsuit and missed the deadline for the statute of limitations.
NextEra, Dominion want to create power company
NextEra Energy is seeking to acquire Dominion Energy in an all-stock deal valued at about $67 billion, creating a massive power company as the energy needs of artificial intelligence drive demand higher in the U.S.
It is one of the biggest proposed mergers so far this year and would create the world’s biggest regulated electric utility business by market capitalization, the companies said on Monday. The combined company will serve approximately 10 million utility customer accounts across Florida, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
Supreme Court rejects appeals over Medicare
The Supreme Court has rejected appeals from pharmaceutical companies that object to negotiating Medicare drug prices with the federal government. The justices did not comment Monday in leaving in place rulings from the federal appeals court in Philadelphia that dismissed the drug manufacturers’ claims.
The negotiation program was created as part of the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act, which capped years of debate over whether the federal government should be allowed to haggle directly with manufacturers over the prices of drugs in Medicare. The law required the government to negotiate prices for certain high-cost drugs in the federal insurance program for older adults on an annual basis. The first deals took effect in 2026.
Bessent grants a 30-day extension for Russian oil
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent says the U.S. will give a 30-day extension for countries to import Russian oil already in tankers at sea. This move aims to reduce oil supply shortages caused by the Iran war.
The announcement marks a continued policy reversal by an administration that had previously planned to resume sanctions on Russian oil. The temporary waiver on sanctions was first renewed in April. Bessent says the extension will help poorer nations in need of oil. However, there are risks, as the temporary lifting of sanctions could help Russia finance its war in Ukraine.
New York Times sues the Pentagon a second time
The New York Times sued the Defense Department Monday for the second time in recent months over media access. The new lawsuit argues that a requirement that journalists be escorted while on Pentagon grounds violates the First Amendment. The escort policy has remained in place as part of an interim policy imposed by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth.
Defense Department spokesperson Sean Parnell responded on X that the Times’ lawsuit was merely an attempt to remove barriers to “getting their hands on classified information.” The new lawsuit is an attempt to get the courts to directly address the escort rule.
