Community

Club notes

Club launches garden initiative The Blair Garden Club has announced its “Garden Initiative Program” and is accepting proposals from 501(c)(3) and volunteer organizations in Blair County for worthy endeavors that support the garden club’s objectives. The club is looking to expand its ...

Autism Community plans sensory walk

Event to kick off Autism Awareness Month The Central PA Autism Community has officially launched registration and fundraising for the second annual Central PA Autism Community Walk. The walk will be held March 28 at the Blair County Convention Center in Altoona. The doors will open at 11 ...

Yesteryear

A toll gate is shown on a dirt road on the main street in Newry. For anyone going toward Roaring Spring/Bedford area, it would cost them 5 cents to go through the gate, operated by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Diehl. Note the horse and buggy coming through on the right side of the picture. Franklin House ...

Lenten fish dinners

Due to the coronavirus, please check with each establishment before going to the dinner. Fish lunch, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (or until sold out) Fridays through April 3, The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, One Cathedral Square, Altoona. The menu includes a fish sandwich and your choice of ...

My adventures in puppyhood: Taming the wild little beast

If you’re like me, you’ve undoubtedly had at least one moment when you’ve scratched your head and said to yourself, “What was I thinking?” I had one of those just recently. I’m still not 100% sure I know the answer! Last September, I unexpectedly lost one of my true heart dogs, ...

Gearing up to swap

Courtesy photo The Blair County Antique Auto Club will hold its 15th annual Super Spring Swap Meet from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the Pinecroft Firehall, 2134 Old Sixth Avenue Road, Altoona. This is a new location for this year’s event. There is a $5 admission charge. The event will ...

ArtsAltoona plans after-school arts programs

If you are looking for a creative avenue for after school for your youngster, ArtsAltoona has several upcoming programs that will fit the need. All classes are offered free of charge, thanks to a partnership with the Altoona Area School District Foundation, grant support from United Way and ...

Car club events

Blair County Antique Auto Club’s monthly meeting, 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month, Bavarian Hall, Altoona. The next meeting is today. New members are welcome. For more information, visit www.bcaac.org. BCAAC weekly cruise-in, 6 to 9 p.m. Sundays beginning May 3, Gabe’s parking ...

Across the area

Joshua House race set for Saturday TYRONE — Joshua House’s annual St. Patrick’s Day 5K/10K race will be held Saturday. Race day registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. inside the Armory, 926 Logan Ave., Tyrone. Both races begin in front of the Armory at 8:30 a.m. The free “Go for the ...

Blair 4-H in state potato competition

HARRISBURG — The 2020 4-H Potato Grading and Identification Contest was held at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Jan. 7 with a record number of contestants. A total of 139 4-H members from across the state participated in the contest. Registration numbers increased by 40% from last year and ...

Across the area

‘Jazz and Art Evening’ is Thursday CLAYSBURG — The Claysburg-Kimmel School District will host a “Jazz and Art Evening” Thursday at Claysburg-Kimmel High School. Clinics will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. The doors will open at 5:45 p.m., and a free public concert will be held ...

Park programs

Fort Roberdeau Historic Site and Natural Area, 383 Fort Roberdeau Road, Altoona, 946-0048 Open for tours, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission fees: $5 adults, $4 seniors, $2 children under age 12. Greenwood Furnace State Park, 15795 Greenwood Road, ...

HAWC awards scholarship

The application deadline for spring scholarships is April 3 HOLLIDAYSBURG — The Holli-daysburg Area Women’s Club recently announced the winner of its 2019 Adult Women’s Scholarship — Amanda Brady. Brady attends the Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center and is enrolled in ...

Across the area

Bedford County ‘Liber Tea’ sold out BEDFORD — The Bedford County Historical Society has announced that all the tickets have been sold out for its “Liber Tea” event. Reservations must be paid for and tickets picked-up before the date of the tea. Ostomy society to meet ...

Lenten fish dinners

Fish lunch, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (or until sold out) Fridays through April 3, The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, One Cathedral Square, Altoona. The menu includes a fish sandwich and your choice of macaroni and cheese, pierogies, french fries or haluski for $8 (includes drink). Call ...

Blair County Historical Society announces lecture series

The Blair County Historical Society announces the 2020 Lecture Series to be held at the auditorium of the Railroaders Memorial Museum, 1200 Ninth Ave., Altoona. The location has been changed this year due to the renovation of the basement of Baker Mansion. The nine lectures will focus ...

Yesteryear

This photo shows the 12th Street Walking Bridge and the shop buildings of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It is from the collection of the late William Barger of Altoona, who died Jan. 29.

Car club activities

Blair County Antique Auto Club’s 15th annual Super Spring Swap Meet, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 15, Pinecroft Firehall, 2134 Old Sixth Avenue Road, Altoona (new location), $5 admission. Indoor table rentals and outdoor car corral spots will be available on a preregistration, limited, ...

Girls Night Out donates $44K for breast cancer

Girls Night Out Altoona Inc., a volunteer group that raises money to support breast cancer awareness and help local breast cancer survivors, made a donation of $44,000 to the Tyrone Regional Health Network Foundation. Funds will be directed to Tyrone Regional’s Breast Cancer & ...

Across the area

Forestry, wildlife conference set BEDFORD — The Woodland Owners of the Southern Alleghenies (WOSA) will hold its 23rd annual Forestry and Wildlife Conference, “Managing Forests and Wildlife,” from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. March 14 at the Bedford American Legion Post. The conference, ...