Threat forces students to leave Bedford dance

State police say student arrested

Students were sent home early from a homecoming dance Saturday at Bedford High School after a it was reported that a student had threatened to shoot attendees.

According to an information release posted online about 10:27 p.m. Saturday by Bedford Borough police, a student allegedly left the dance and said “he would return with a gun and start shooting.”

Officers arrived shortly after, and students and staff evacuated the building, police said.

The name of the student who made the alleged threat was given to officers at that time, and they learned he was no longer on school property, according to the release.

State police later arrested the student.

Bedford Area School District officials attempted to keep parents informed by posting to the district’s website as information became available.

“The Bedford Area School District wants parents and guardians to know that no students were harmed at the homecoming dance as a result of an unverified rumor that a student was planning to cause harm at the dance,” the first post reads.

A second post at 10:03 p.m. asked parents to contact school officials who were attempting to reunify students with their guardians.

And a final post at 10:10 p.m. explains that police interviewed the student accused of making the threat, and they had “not found any evidence of any credible threat at this time.”

“The district and police will continue to investigate this issue and any leads,” it reads.

On Saturday, acting Bedford Police Chief Steven Shelley confirmed an investigation into the alleged threat was ongoing.

At that time, no criminal charges had been filed, and Shelley said he could not comment on whether the incident would lead to charges.

“I really can’t get into that right now,” he said.

Police asked those with information about the alleged threat to call 623-1105.

Mirror Staff Writer Sean Sauro is at 946-7535.

COMMENTS