Chiz Rider will present a concert at 10:45 a.m. Sunday at the Altoona Alliance Church, 3220 Pleasant Valley Blvd., Altoona. The seventh annual Trumpet in the New Year with Chiz Rider will include a variety of songs and styles from traditional hymns to contemporary worship.
A weekly grief support group will be held at Champion Life Church beginning at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 5. Registration is $15 and includes a workbook. Some scholarships are available.
GriefShare is geared toward those who have lost a loved one — including a spouse, family member or friend — and offers help and encouragement to all.
To register, contact Devin Spradling at the office of Champion Life Church at 814-942-9400 ext. 4, or online at mychampionlifechurch .com/griefshare.
Faith Baptist Cafe will host a free community meal from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Faith Baptist Church, 315 40th St., Altoona. The meal includes meatball sandwiches, french fries, fruit salad and dessert. All are welcome.
Call the church office at 944-2894 before 3 p.m. today if transportation to the church is needed.
The 32nd annual Respect Life March will be held at noon Jan. 13 at St. Matthew Church, Tyrone. The event will begin with a prayer service and will include a 1.25-mile walk to Oak Grove Cemetery to the grave of Baby Agnes Doe, where another short prayer service will be held. A hot luncheon will be served in the parish hall after the march.
The event is sponsored by the St. Gregory Council 1218 Knights of Columbus.
For more information, contact Peter Kreckel at 935-5436 or email email@example.com.
The Hollidaysburg Free Soup Program will begin Saturday at St. Mary Catholic Church, Mulberry and Clark streets, Hollidaysburg.
Five churches in Hollidaysburg will host the annual program from Saturday through March 23.
Each church will host the program from
11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. In case of inclement weather, cancellations will be announced on WFGY-FM, Froggy Radio, 98.1. The schedule of churches and dates follow:
– St. Mary Catholic Church, Mulberry and Clark streets, Saturday and Jan. 12.
– First Presbyterian Church, Penn and Walnut streets, Jan. 19, 26 and Feb. 2.
– St. Michael Catholic Church, Montgomery and Spruce streets, Feb. 9, 16 and 23.
– St. John’s Reformed Church, 906 Maple Ave., March 2 and 9.
– Hollidaysburg Church of the Brethren, Penn and Hawthorne streets, March 16 and 23.
All churches offer soup, bread and butter, desserts, tea, coffee and water. St. Mary Catholic Church and St. John’s Reformed Church will also serve a sandwich with the soup.
An offering will be accepted but is not mandatory.
The Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus are hosting a number of retreats in the upcoming months. All retreats will be held at St. Joseph Convent, 1872 Munster Road, Portage. Reservations can be made by contacting Sister Jacinta at firstname.lastname@example.org or 886-4459.
– Girls’ Retreat: Generosity — The weekend retreat is geared toward girls in grades 7-12 and will be held from 6 p.m. Jan. 25 through 1 p.m. Jan. 27. Registrations are due by Jan. 23. Suggested donation is $45.
– Married Couples Weekend Get-Away: Each Day is a New Start — The retreat begins with dinner at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 8 and wraps up at noon Feb. 10, with brunch. The presenter for the weekend will be the Rev. Lawrence F. Kozak, a priest from the Philadelphia Diocese serving at St. Helena in Blue Bell. A suggested donation of $75 for the weekend or $35 per day is being requested to cover meals and costs. Register by Feb. 6.
– Boys’ Retreat: Bravery — The retreat is geared toward boys in grades 7-12 and begins with dinner at 6 p.m. Feb. 15 and ends with a meal at 1 p.m. Feb. 17. Register by Feb. 6. Suggested donation is $45.
– Women’s Retreat: Learn from Me for I am Meek and Humble of Heart — The retreat for women (age 18 and older) will begin with dinner at 6 p.m. March 8 and conclude with a meal at 1 p.m. March 10. Register by Wednesday, March 6. Suggested donation is $65.
Religious organizations are invited to submit upcoming events, special speakers and other items to be published free of charge in Spiritual Notes. Email items to email@example.com or call Holly at 946-7451. Items may also be submitted online through the Mirror’s virtual newsroom at vnr.altoonamirror.com.