Breaking News
Local News

Cellular networks ending 3G service

AT&T shutdown scheduled for Tuesday

By Hannah Pollock 4 min read

Local residents may need to upgrade cellphones, as well as medical alert, security and safety systems, as 3G cellular networks are being phased out to make way for improved 4G and 5G services.

The Federal Communication Commission announced earlier this year the plan for a phase out of 3G cellular service to prepare for more advanced network services. The loss of 3G networks may impact those with older cellphones and those who use out-of-service cellphones only for emergency calls to 911.

"If your mobile phone is more than a few years old, you may need to upgrade your device before your provider shuts down its 3G network and you lose service -- including the ability to call 911," Lt. Adam Reed, Pennsylvania State Police Communications office director, said in a news release. "During an emergency, every minute counts whether you need police, fire or medical assistance."

Pennsylvania Emergency Management officials said in a press release that most service users will be directly notified by their carriers if the discontinuation affects them. However, those who have an older, non-active cellphone used only for calling 911 may not receive the notice.

Locally, Blair County Emergency Management Director Mark Taylor said he is not aware of anyone reaching out to his office with concerns about the switch.

"I think for the most part, people have devices that are comparable to what's needed for 5G," he said.

Most paying service users should have already received communication via text, email, phone call or letter of whether or not their device is affected.

Service providers have already begun the process of shutting down 3G networks, including AT&T, which will end its 3G service by Tuesday. An AT&T spokesperson said that fewer than 1% of AT&T's consumer devices of the company's 196 million connected devices, including phones, tablets and watches, will lose cellular service.

T-Mobile, which merged with Sprint in 2020, will end Sprint's 3G CDMA network by the end of March, and Sprint 4G LTE network by the end of June.

Verizon officials said the provider's 3G services will end by the end of 2022. Verizon initially announced a 2019 shutdown of the 3G network in 2016, but it delayed the shutdown twice to accommodate customers, according to its website.

Carriers will begin retiring parts of the networks before the final shutdown date.

For area seniors, Blair Senior Services is working to bring in speakers to aid with the transitioning technology. Mike Smith, administrative services director, said the centers are currently closed due to the pandemic, but aim to schedule programming after centers reopen on Feb. 28.

Tom Kamber, executive director of Older Adults Technology Services, a AARP-associated nonprofit, expressed concern of the shutdown's impact in a recent Associated Press article.

"There's a lot of uncertainty about the impact and about how many people are affected," he said.

AARP has asked the FCC to delay the AT&T shutdown until December.

The change not only affects cellphone users, but also certain medical devices like LifeAlert, tablets, smart watches, in-vehicle emergency services like OnStar and home security products.

The home-alarm industry has asked the FCC to delay AT&T's network sunset until December. The FCC is monitoring the 3G phase-out and working to "implement safeguards" for older phones and other devices, The Associated Press reported.

An alarm-industry lobbying group estimates that 1.5 million customers still need to upgrade their fire or burglar alarms, while about half a million have medical alert devices that run on 3G; it said most rely on AT&T service.

An unnetworked fire alarm will still sound an alarm if there's smoke, but it won't be able to contact the fire department. Other affected home security alarms would not be able to contact emergency officials if the alarm is triggered.

The FCC website warns consumers who use providers other than the major three networks to be aware of coming changes.

Carriers including Cricket, Boost and Straight Talk use AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile networks. The FCC advises consumers to contact their mobile provider about their 3G shutdown plans to see if their personal phone may be affected. Some carriers are offering free or discounted device upgrades, while others are offering software updates to aid in the transition. Multiple providers reported offering free or low-cost upgrades for users.

If a customer does not want a smartphone, most carriers still offer a user-friendly basic cellphone.

Starting at /week.