Child named in deadly accident


TYRONE — State police continue to investigate how a delivery truck struck and killed a 7-year-old Tyrone Area School District second-grader as he waited for the bus before school.

Huntingdon County Coroner Paul Sharum said Friday that 7-year-old Nicholas Woomer died of blunt force trauma Thursday morning.

State police said a delivery was made to a residence on Huntingdon Furnace Road in Franklin Township, Huntingdon County, at the time the boy was waiting for the school bus at the family’s residence.

A Tyrone Area school bus driver found the boy dead at 7:06 a.m. and called 911.

State police said Friday that it was believed the driver of the delivery truck backed over the child, but further evaluation of the autopsy results and other evidence, including the tire tracks, will be conducted to determine how the truck struck the boy.

State police on Friday said the investigation was ongoing and at this time no decision has been made on whether the unnamed driver will be charged.

Woomer’s grandfather is an electrician, and regular deliveries for his business are made in the mornings at the house, according to several sources.

State police said Thursday the driver told investigators he was unaware the boy was there.

According to the National Weather Service in State College, the sunrise time for Thursday was recorded at 7:41 a.m., and state police have not said if darkness played any role in the incident.

Woomer’s death hit the communities of the Tyrone Area School District hard and on Thursday, Superintendent Cathy Harlow reiterated that the school would continue to provide counseling and bereavement support to the students in the coming weeks. She said the grieving continues and extended “our deepest sympathy to the family for their profound loss.

“We have received tremendous support from parents, the Tyrone community, mental health professionals and our neighboring schools,” Harlow said, adding they were appreciative of the many offers of assistance since the tragedy. “It is truly amazing how individuals come together during tragedy to provide help and encouragement.”

A Gofundme account was set up Friday for Woomer’s funeral expenses and, in the first five hours, had raised just shy of $20,000, well above the $15,000 goal.

The Warriors Mark United Methodist Church opened its doors Friday between 6 and 7:30 p.m. for anyone who wanted to gather and pray for Woomer’s family, his friends and anyone affected by his death.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today