Everett homicide case bound for court

NY man faces charges for allegedly killing fiancee

BEDFORD — A judge transferred a criminal homicide case to Bedford County Common Pleas Court after finding sufficient evidence that the defendant fatally stabbed his fiancee in Everett on Sept. 4.

Bernard Harry Jones Jr., 41, of 3100 Creston Ave., Bronx, N.Y., is charged with criminal homicide, first-degree murder and aggravated assault for allegedly killing Lekevia Bush during a domestic dispute at 507 W. Main St.

Multiple state troopers testified at Jones’ preliminary hearing in front of Magisterial District Judge Tonya Osman on Wednesday.

Trooper Rusty Hays said police found Bush with multiple stab wounds in the rear bedroom, sitting upright against the dresser. He said there were multiple serious injuries that punctured skin and muscle and nicked arteries and veins.

Hays said he couldn’t even count the number of wounds.

Jones allegedly told police that he and Bush started arguing about Bush staying overnight at a co-worker’s place, an argument that began over the phone and then escalated when Bush and her 23-year-old daughter arrived at the residence. Jones reportedly said Bush tried to end their relationship.

Bush was transported to UPMC Bedford Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead by Coroner Rusty Styer.

In an interview with Trooper Bradley Huff, Jones allegedly said he and Bush had a discussion and “things got out of hand.” Jones reportedly admitted to grabbing a knife from a kitchen and pushed his way into a bedroom, where Bush tried to block his entry.

Jones allegedly told police he stopped stabbing Bush when she told him that she loved him. He then reportedly took Bush’s car keys and just drove until police caught and arrested him in Uwchlan Township, Chester County.

State troopers had received a call from Bush’s daughter, who was hiding in a bathroom inside the Everett residence and reported hearing screaming from her mother in a bedroom. The daughter allegedly told police Jones grabbed a knife from the kitchen and went into the bedroom with her mother.

She also reportedly told police she noticed a knife cover laying on the stove before calling 911.

Prior to arriving, police said dispatch told them the daughter could no longer hear her mother screaming from the bedroom.

The daughter sat through the preliminary hearing Wednesday, tightly clutching her aunt’s hand while sitting a couple of rows back from Jones.

While police reportedly received verbal reports of Bush’s autopsy, Jones’ defense attorney pointed out the troopers didn’t yet have a written report confirming the manner of her death.

Osman said the commonwealth had established Bush’s death was caused by Jones and transferred the case despite the absence of an official autopsy report.

Jones is housed at the Bedford County Jail without the option of bail.

Mirror Staff Writer Shen Wu Tan is at 946-7457.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today