×

Space heater likely cause of fatal fire

CARBONDALE — A space heater is believed to have started a predawn fire that claimed the life of a woman, authorities said.

Fire crews in Lackawanna County responded to the Carbondale home shortly after 6 a.m. Tuesday and reported heavy flames coming from the building.

Coroner Tim Rowland said Rose Marie Boyles, 58, was pronounced dead at the scene. Officials said her son and his family were able to escape from the neighboring duplex.

State police and Carbondale officials sad the fire was ruled accidental and is believed to have started from a first-floor space heater.

Donna Parsons, who was soon to be Boyles’ daughter-in-law, told The (Scranton) Times-Tribune that a neighbor banged on her window to warn them to get out. She said they tried the front door but found a wall of flames before making their retreat out the back.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today