Hawn’s goal lifts Bearcats over rival Eagles

HUNTINGDON — Mountain League rivals met up again in a District 6 Class 3A boys soccer quarterfinal match at Detwiler Field Wednesday.

Robby Hawn netted the lone goal of the night, and the Bearcats edged Tyrone, 1-0.

The teams are very familiar with each other and have a history of playing really good games. Once again, the Bearcats (8-6-4) and the Eagles (7-10-2) went toe to toe in another one-goal game.

“You win and move on,” Huntingdon coach Phil Hawkins said. “I don’t think shooting was our problem tonight. We allowed them to control the ball and play in a lot of space in the first half. We fixed that in the second half.”

The Bearcats move to the semifinals and see another Mountain League foe. Huntingdon will play top-seeded Bellefonte (12-5) Monday at Bald Eagle Area.

Huntingdon is now 9-0-1 in the last 10 meetings with Tyrone. Six of those matches were decided by one goal. In the last 10 years, the ‘Cats boast a 19-3-1 mark against the Eagles with 10 matches decided by one goal.

“I think that was one of the best games I’ve seen them play this year,” Tyrone coach Nick Miller said. “We started off the season really strong but slacked off the last half. These guys worked to tighten it up, and it showed.”

Sophomore Isaac Snare came off the bench with 27 minutes left in the first half in relief of a hobbling Braedon Knode. Snare came through with 17 saves in preserving the 1-0 victory.

“Isaac was fantastic. He is so calm for a 10th grader. I gave Braedon a shot to see how he was,” Hawkins said.

Early on, the Eagles were able to put some pressure on the goal and Knode. He made the plays he had to while in the game, including leaving his feet to grab a shot by Alex Taylor.

Knode and then Snare got some help in the box from Brandt Sliver and Brady Hawkins blocking shots. Blake Johnston generated plenty of offense for the Eagles, and Corey Johnston was off-target with a head shot on Blake Johnston’s corner kick.

The ‘Cats started finding some chances to score. Peter Kruse had a direct kick go right to Isaac Woomer. David Bukowski worked hard to get into the box. Woomer tipped away a shot by Hawn.

Hawkins took a direct kick for the ‘Cats. and Snare made a save on a shot by Andrew Pearson. Hawn, Zac Monica and Kruse had shots for Huntingdon and River Terry created an offensive spark before the half ended 0-0.

The intensity remained throughout the second half. The scoring chances were going back and forth before Huntingdon broke through.

Kruse sent the ball forward to a racing Hawn, and he fired it home to the right post for his second goal of the season with 31 minutes left to play.

“You want to get that first one. We were more cautious then and dropped a fifth defender back. We still had plenty of chances, though,” Hawkins said.

“You play so hard and have one little breakdown, and they find their way through because they’re a good team,” Miller said. “That’s not to say we didn’t have our chances.”

Tyrone kept pressuring but couldn’t score.

A yellow card with 56 seconds gave the Eagles a free kick. Snare went low to stop the ball, and Huntingdon held on for the 1-0 win.


Tyrone 0 0 — 0

Huntingdon 0 1 — 1

Second half: Robby Hawn (Peter Kruse), 31:07.

Records: Tyrone (7-10-2); Huntingdon (8-6-4).


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)