Vikings’ DT survives frightening ordeal

The Associated Press

EAGAN, Minn. — The Minnesota Vikings have made mental health support an organizational priority, an investment that only became more important with Everson Griffen’s frightening experience three years ago.

The condition of mental illness never truly goes away, as the Vikings were reminded Wednesday. The team was relieved when Griffen emerged from his home without incident hours after he called 911 in a frenzy believing people were trying to kill him.

“We feel with the situation that we got him the necessary help he needs,” general manager Rick Spielman said. “He’s in the care of medical professionals.”

The Vikings have an emergency action plan they enhanced in 2018 after Griffen needed care in the aftermath of a similarly scary situation and took a five-game leave to recover. The plan came in handy after middle-of-the-night messages Griffen posted on Instagram made public his struggle.

Griffen posted screenshots of urgent text messages to his agent, Brian Murphy, that were pleas for help because he said people were trying to kill him. He also posted a video depicting him with a gun — he said it was purchased legally — as he moved around his house in Minnetrista, a lakeside suburb west of Minneapolis. Those posts were deleted.

“We have the resources necessary that, when there are issues that pop up, we’re able to support each other and we’re able to take care of each other,” Spielman said about two hours after Griffen was taken away by ambulance to a health care facility for treatment.

Police, in a news release, said officers responded to a 911 call at 3 a.m. from Griffen at his residence. Griffen said on the 911 call that there were intruders in the home and that he fired a shot but no one was hurt. When police arrived, no intruder was located. Responding officers determined Griffen was alone in the house.

The Vikings sent psychologists to work with police on coaxing him out. The Vikings announced the situation “ended peacefully” with Griffen coming out nearly 11 hours after the 911 call.

Lions still winless

DETROIT — Cairo Santos made a 28-yard game-ending field goal to give the Chicago Bears a 16-14 win over the Detroit Lions Thursday.

The Bears (4-7) ended a five-game losing streak under embattled coach Matt Nagy, who was answering questions about his job status less than 48 hours before kickoff.

The Lions (0-10-1) made many mistakes, early and late, to extend their skid to 15 games going back to their most recent win nearly a year ago in Chicago.

Andy Dalton, starting in place of injured rookie Justin Fields, led the Bears on an 18-play, 69-yard drive that took the final 8:30 off the clock that led to the winning kick.

Raiders win thriller

ARLINGTON, Texas — Daniel Carlson kicked a 29-yard field goal in overtime after Anthony Brown’s fourth pass-interference penalty kept the drive alive, and the Las Vegas Raiders beat the Dallas Cowboys, 36-33, Thursday.

Carlson’s fifth field goal came after Brown was called for interference on Zay Jones on third-and-18. All four of Brown’s interference penalties came on third-down incompletions.

The Raiders (6-5) ended a three-game losing streak with their first Thanksgiving victory since 1968. It was their fourth appearance on the holiday since then, with the previous two losses coming at the Cowboys.

Carlson put Las Vegas ahead 33-30 with a career-long 56-yarder with 1:52 remaining. Greg Zuerlein, who missed an extra point after the first Dallas TD, answered with a 45-yarder with 19 seconds to go.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today