×

Former BC coach gets Rams’ top job

The Associated Press

Colorado State has hired Steve Addazio as its head football coach.

Addazio agreed to a five-year contract Wednesday, with a base salary of $1.5 million in the first year and with a $50,000 increase each year of the deal.

The 60-year-old Addazio wasn’t out of work long after being fired by Boston College on Dec. 1. He was 44-44 in seven seasons with the Eagles.

Addazio replaces Mike Bobo, who parted ways with the program last week after reaching a financial settlement with Colorado State. Bobo is now the offensive coordinator at South Carolina.

At Colorado State, Addazio inherits a Rams team that is coming off a second straight losing season.

“Our program will be one built on toughness and passion, and we will work tirelessly to develop men of character to return championship-level football back to Colorado State,” Addazio said in a statement.

Boston College won seven games in five different seasons under Addazio. The Eagles became bowl-eligible this season by beating Pittsburgh in their final regular-season game. But Addazio never restored the luster to a program that frequently was ranked in the AP Top 25 in the early 2000s.

Before arriving at Boston College, Addazio was in charge for two seasons at Temple. And before that, he was an assistant coach on Florida teams that won national championships during the 2006 and ’08 seasons. While at Florida, he worked with Urban Meyer, who’s been seen around Colorado State athletic director Joe Parker during the hiring process.

Addazio becomes the 23rd head football coach at Colorado State.

FAU gets Taggart

Florida Atlantic has reached an agreement with Willie Taggart to be its new football coach, replacing Lane Kiffin, said a person familiar with the negotiations.

Taggart will be introduced to the FAU community in a news conference today, according to the person who spoke to The Associated Press Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the hiring has not been finalized.

Taggart has been to one bowl game in 10 seasons as a head coach, with a 56-62 record. Florida State fired him in November after a 27-10 loss to Miami.

He was at South Florida from 2013 through 2016, then Oregon in 2017, Florida State for the last two seasons and now takes over as Kiffin’s replacement with about a week left until early signing day.

Taggart started his career as a head coach at Western Kentucky, going 16-20 in three seasons. He was 24-25 in four seasons at USF, 7-5 in his lone season at Oregon and 9-12 in parts of two seasons at Florida State.

OC hired by Wildcats

EVANSTON, Ill. — Northwestern hired Boston College’s Mike Bajakian as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Wednesday.

Bajakian, who spent four seasons at quarterbacks coach for the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, spent last year as OC and QBs coach for Boston College, which boasted the top rushing attack in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

In nine seasons as a college offensive coordinator, Bajakian’s offenses have averaged 424 yards and 31.3 points per game.

UNLV finds coach

LAS VEGAS — UNLV has hired Oregon offensive coordinator Marcus Arroyo as its next head football coach.

Athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois announced Wednesday that Arroyo will succeed Tony Sanchez, who was fired Nov. 25 after going 19-40 in five seasons.

The 39-year-old Arroyo led an Oregon offense that was 15th nationally in scoring this season and he helped the Ducks land the Pac-12’s top-ranked recruiting class the past two seasons.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Two former University of Nebraska football players accused in connection with the sexual assault of a 19-year-old fellow student were set to be released from jail Wednesday after a judge allowed them to post bond, and attorneys for both men said they intend to fight the allegations.

Katerian LeGrone, 19, and Andre Hunt, 20, appeared in court one day after police arrested them at their Lincoln apartment. LaGrone was being held on suspicion of first-degree sexual assault, while Hunt faces allegations of aiding and abetting first-degree sexual assault for the Aug. 25 incident at their apartment.

Prosecutors haven’t formally charged either man and were still reviewing a university-led Title IX investigation, which concluded LaGrone and Hunt had violated the university’s sexual misconduct policy. The university suspended them for 2 1/2 years, a decision that both men appealed shortly before they were arrested.

The redshirt freshmen were also suspended indefinitely from all team activities shortly after the reported incident with the woman. The school confirmed Wednesday that the players are no longer on the roster.

Lancaster County Judge Laurie Yardley set LaGrone’s bond Wednesday at $50,000, meaning he’ll have to post $5,000 to get out of jail. The judge approved a personal recognizance bond for Hunt that will allow his release if he promises to appear back in court on Dec. 20. Prosecutors are expected to decide by then whether they’ll press formal charges.

They also were ordered to have no contact with their accuser, to not leave Nebraska without the judge’s permission, and to waive any right to extradition if authorities have to retrieve them from another state.

Hunt, a former wide receiver from Palmdale, California, and LaGrone, a former tight end from Atlanta, appeared in court via a closed-circuit television from the Lancaster County Jail, dressed in blue jail clothes. Neither man spoke except to acknowledge that they understood the conditions of their release.

The Title IX investigation, leaked to ESPN, found that LaGrone and Hunt both had sex with the woman. But the woman said the sex wasn’t consensual, and investigators concluded that “the greater weight of the evidence” supported her claims that the men engaged in sexual assault and harassment, according to the report. She contacted authorities about an hour after the alleged assault, police said.

Attorneys for both men insisted Wednesday that their clients did nothing wrong and noted that prosecutors would have to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to get a conviction, a much higher legal standard that the one used by Title IX investigators.

Hunt’s attorney, Carlos Monzon, said his client met his accuser on a dating app and they almost immediately began talking about sex. He said the two later had consensual sex that the woman later regretted.

“This is clearly a case of buyer’s remorse,” Monzon said.

LaGrone’s attorney, John Berry Jr., said his client is innocent and “looks forward to his day in court, and we look forward to defending him.”

Attorneys also questioned why authorities waited to arrest the men when the accuser reported the incident more than three months ago.

Lincoln police spokesman Luke Bonkiewicz said felony investigations can be complicated and time-consuming, and the decision to make an arrest happens “independent of any outside influence or pressure.”

Both players entered the NCAA transfer portal last week, signaling that they are no longer members of Nebraska’s football team.

COMMENTS