PITTSBURGH - It's almost time to tear that last page off the calendar and start the new year.
But before the new Justin Bieber calendar is posted, it's time to look back on the year that was.
The Pirates teased, then disappointed. Again. The Steelers' season is ending before December does. The Penguins lost in the first round of the playoffs before the NHL lost more than half a season. Pitt didn't make the NCAA Tournament. Duquesne changed coaches. Again.
It wasn't a great year, but it was eventful. So test your knowledge by grabbing a pair of sharpened No. 2 pencils and tackling the annual dozen puzzlers.
1. The Pirates desperately need:
a. More hitting
b. Better pitching.
c. A season that ends on July 31.
2. Paul Chryst's greatest contribution to Pitt is:
a. Establishing a winning attitude.
b. Building a recruiting base.
3. The Steelers can finish no better than 8-8, which suggests:
a. They struggled.
b. They underachieved.
c. Maybe Bruce Arians wasn't their biggest problem.
4. The ball drop is the key moment in New Year's Eve at Times Square. This means:
a. The crowd will chant the countdown.
b. Tradition will be observed.
c. Dropped ball? The Steelers' Mike Wallace should participate.
5. Which couple had the stormiest relationship in 2012?
a. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.
b. Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.
c. Big Ben and Todd Haley.
6. The Steelers' meaningless season finale led to:
a. Soul searching.
c. Bargain ticket prices on a cold day.
7. The Penguins' playoff loss to the Philadelphia Flyers was:
c. The original hockey work stoppage of 2012.
8. Where should a couple go to be alone?
a. A small restaurant.
b. The balcony of a movie theater.
c. The upper deck at Heinz Field for Youngstown State-Pitt game.
9. What is the most exclusive club?
a. U.S. Presidents
b. Baseball players with at least 500 home runs.
c. Robert Morris season ticketholders.
10. The number 3,000 represents:
a. A milestone number of hits in a baseball career.
b. An excellent season yardage total for a quarterback.
c. How many times the Chevy commercial with the guy who looked like Santa saying, "Oh, it's casual Friday" ran last week.
11. Most grandmothers:
a. Are kind.
b. Are very special.
c. Could steal a base on Rod Barajas.
12. The Steelers' striped throwback jerseys were:
c. The team's worst idea since Huey Richardson.
Mehno can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org