Gerald Rollin Hoover
March 7, 1935 – Sept. 17, 2021
Gerald Rollin Hoover, 86, Martinsburg, passed away Friday.
He was born in Roaring Spring, son of the late George Rollin and Margaret (Bayer) Hoover. On Aug. 31, 1957, he married Ruby K. Hamman in Altoona. She died March 9, 2018, after 60 years of marriage.
Surviving are two children: a son, Kenneth W. Hoover (Barbara) of Bethel Park and a daughter, Anita M. Hoover (Russell) of Roaring Spring; three grandchildren: Brandi Claycomb Stranford (John), Gregory Rollin Hoover and R. Douglas Hoover (Deirdre); three great-grandsons: Grady Michael Hoover, Eli Robert Hoover and Drew Lee Stranford; many nieces and nephews; and his beloved dog, LuLu.
He was preceded in death by a sister, Nancy J. Myers; and his stepmother, Vera L. Hoover.
Gerald earned his Eagle Scout award from Martinsburg Troop 58 in 1952. He was a 1953 graduate of Morrisons Cove High School, Martinsburg and also attended Mercersburg Academy. He graduated from the Altoona School of Commerce in 1956.
He was a U.S. Army veteran, serving from 1957-1959. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant and retired from the Army Reserves in 1991. Gerald retired from Blair Clay Products, Altoona. Following his retirement he enjoyed jockeying cars for Hertz and local car dealers.
He was a member of St. Matthew Lutheran Church, Martinsburg, and a 50 year member of Woodbury Masonic Lodge No. 539 Free and Accepted Masons, Roaring Spring. He was a life-long member of the Martinsburg Volunteer Fire Company, where he served as vice president, treasurer and was a member of the fire police.
Gerald, a.k.a. “Moose”, enjoyed riding his motorcycle and the trips he took with the old J & M Kawasaki gang. He also participated in many of the BCO Think Tank sessions.
A private graveside service will be held at Fairview Cemetery, Martinsburg with the Rev. Traci Marriott officiating. Arrangements are by John K. Bolger Funeral Home Inc., Martinsburg.
Memorial contributions in memory of Gerald may be given to St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 115 E. Penn St., Martinsburg, PA 16662 or Martinsburg Volunteer Fire Company, 205 S. Market St., Martinsburg, PA 16662.