Memorial Day events
* A Memorial Day parade will be held in the Juniata section of the city at 9:30 a.m. Monday,
May 30. The parade will travel from North Fourth Avenue to North Eighth Street to North Fifth Street to North Sixth Avenue to North Second Street to North 11th Avenue to Broadway and end at the ballfield.
* The Blair County War Veterans Council Memorial Day parade will be held in downtown Altoona at 10:30 a.m. Monday, May 30. The parade will go from Eighth Avenue and 17th Street to 12th Avenue to 12th Street to 11th Avenue to 15th Street. A service after the parade will be held at the Robert E. Laws Veterans Mall, 14th Street and 11th Avenue.
* American Legion Post 506, Carrolltown, will hold Memorial Day services at 10 a.m. at Bakerton Veterans Memorial; 10:30 a.m. at St. Benedict Veterans Memorial and at 11 a.m. at the Carrolltown American Legion Park. All are welcome.
* The Claysburg American Legion will conduct its 88th annual Memorial Day Program on Sunday, May 29, at various cemeteries in the Claysburg area.
The Sproul cemetery service will be held at 1:15 p.m.; King at 1:35 p.m.; Imler at 2:05 p.m.; Greenfield at 2:25 p.m.; Lower Klahr at 2:50 p.m.; Upper Klahr at 3:10 p.m. and Mount Hope at 3:45 p.m. Taking part in the services will be the Claysburg American Legion Band, the Claysburg Legion chaplain, the Legion Ladies Auxiliary and the VFW.
* On Monday, May 30, services will be held at 10 a.m. at Union Cemetery, where the guest speaker will be Pastor Calvin Miller of the Claysburg United Methodist Church. The Claysburg American Legion Band, along with the ladies auxiliary, VFW, Sons of the American Legion and the Claysburg Community Chorus will take part in the service.
The dedication of the Eagle Scout project by Kasey Mosser will be held after the service. Mosser raised $10,000 to erect a monument at the cemetery.
* Ebensburg’s annual Memorial Day Parade will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, May 30, in downtown Ebensburg.
The Memorial Day ceremony in Veterans Park will follow the parade at 10:30 a.m. In the case of inclement weather, the parade will not be held and the ceremony will take place at 10:30 a.m. inside at the Ebensburg Presbyterian Church,
200 N. Center St.
All participants will assemble for check-in and line-up at the Ebensburg Public Library on Highland Avenue between 9 and 9:45 a.m.
* The Hollidaysburg American Legion Post 516 Memorial Day parade will be held at 10 a.m. in downtown Hollidaysburg. Participants will line up on North Juniata Street from 9-9:30 a.m. between Allegheny and Walnut streets. The Daughters of the American Revolution will begin with a ceremony at 9:30 a.m. on the bridge at Allegheny and North Juniata streets. The parade will commence immediately following the ceremony. Keynote speaker is state Rep. Jim Gregory, R-Blair.
* The Patton Memorial Day parade will be held at 9:15 a.m. Monday, May 30, and will be led by local veterans, Cambria Heights High School band, Patton Volunteer Fire Company and various youth groups. The veterans will visit eight cemeteries, along with the memorial at Patton Park, with rifle salutes and taps played to honor those who have served their country in war and peace. Final ceremonies will be held in front of the American Legion Post 614 and the VFW Post.
* A service of remembrance will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday, May 29, at Greenlawn Cemetery, Roaring Spring. The service will commemorate the contribution of all men and women who have served in the United States Armed Forces. The religious service will be led by the Rev. Evelyn Madison and the Rev. Amanda McCaffery.
* The 2022 Memorial Day Parade will be held on Monday, May 30, 2022, at 10 a.m. If you are interested in participating, please contact Kim at the borough office at 814-684-1330.