×

Quick response saves Patton home

From Mirror staff reports

PATTON — A quick response from first responders and swift efforts from the homeowner helped extinguish a Monday fire and save a resident’s home.

Firefighters received a dispatch about 2 a.m. Monday for a reported house fire on the 600 block of Lang Avenue.

Upon arriving on scene, Patton Fire Chief Pat Woods said the fire engulfed the resident’s front porch.

Woods said prior to the remainder of first responders arriving on scene, the homeowner deployed two fire extinguishers to mitigate the spread of flames.

Had the homeowner not used the fire extinguisher, Woods said the blaze could have quickly spread throughout the home.

“It was a perfect display of someone properly utilizing a fire extinguisher,” Woods said.

Woods said emergency personnel arrived within minutes to extinguish the remaining flames and stop the fire from spreading into the home.

All residents safely exited the building.

The Carrolltown and Hastings fire departments assisted at the scene.

Woods said the fire was caused by spontaneous combustion of restoration chemicals the homeowner had stored to treat wooden floors.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today