Coalport man facing more charges in assault

HOUTZDALE — A Coalport man accused of assaulting two people at a convenience store and threatening them with a gun is facing additional felony charges for running from police.

In January, police say Kenneth John Selvage, 59, entered a Coalport store where he fought with and assaulted two people with a large wooden club. He reportedly left the store and returned with a shotgun, which he used to threaten them with bodily harm. He fled prior to police arrival on the scene.

According to the affidavit in the new case, at 6:10 p.m. on Jan. 25, a trooper spotted a vehicle in Coalport matching the description of the one Selvage was reported to be driving. He followed the vehicle, which sped away from him.

After the officer used a maneuver to stop the vehicle, which caused it to lose traction and spin around 90 degrees, the driver fled on foot. But after about 50 yards, he raised his hands and stated he “was done running,” and was taken into custody.

A search of his person allegedly uncovered 14 hydro­codone pills and a smoking pipe.

A shotgun, which was in full view in the vehicle, was reportedly found to be loaded. The troopers also found a bag of suspected methamphetamine hidden in a fake soda can, marijuana and other drug paraphernalia, according to the complaint.

During a search at the Clearfield County Jail, two corrections officers reported they found more marijuana hidden in his pocket.

Selvage, who was previously convicted of burglary and escape, is not permitted to possess a firearm, police said.

After this incident, charges of felony possession of firearm prohibited, contraband/controlled substance and fleeing or attempting to elude police as well as misdemeanor intentional possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and multiple traffic summaries against Selvage were filed at District Judge James Glass’ office in Houtzdale.

He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing Wednesday during centralized court in Clearfield County.

For the original case, he is charged with aggravated assault, possession of firearm prohibited, terroristic threats, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person. He waived his right to a hearing on the charges on Feb. 5.

He remains in jail in lieu of $100,000 bail in each case.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)