Police: Man accused in stabbing said he was high on meth

Schooley allegedly used 13-inch kitchen knife to injure man

A stabbing suspect who crashed Tuesday while trying to get away from pursuing Altoona police is now behind bars with bail set at a total of $150,000 cash.

Russell L. Schooley, 30, of 319 Milton Ave. is accused of walking into his ex-girlfriend’s Logan Hills apartment Monday afternoon and stabbing a man who is now romantically involved with the woman, according to Altoona police.

It was just before 3 p.m. on Monday when Schooley allegedly showed up and began pounding on the woman’s door, according to charges filed before Magisterial District Judge Ben Jones.

Schooley then opened the unlocked door, grabbed a 13-inch kitchen knife and walked to the back bedroom, police allege.

Once in the bedroom, Schooley allegedly starting screaming at his ex-girlfriend and the other man before he punched his ex-girlfriend in the face.

When the man tried to pull Schooley off the woman, Schooley stabbed him in the stomach, police said.

After the stabbing, Schooley allegedly grabbed both his ex-girlfriend’s cellphones and told the pair not to call the police or tell them he was there. He then wiped the blood off the knife with his sweatshirt, and although he initially tried to leave with the cellphones, his ex-girlfriend convinced him to leave the phones as well as the knife.

Police said the stabbing victim was found in the hallway on his back and was taken to UPMC Altoona for emergency surgery.

Charges were filed against Schooley that night, and police were on the lookout for Schooley’s late model Subaru Forester when it was spotted by an off-duty police officer about 4:40 p.m. Tuesday.

An on-duty Altoona police officer parked on the 700 block of Sixth Avenue could see Schooley stopped in traffic on the 800 block, according to police.

When Schooley drove past, the Altoona patrolman pulled out and turned on his emergency lights. Police noted that Schooley changed lanes on Sixth Avenue and turned right onto Sixth Street before he drove through a yard and sped down Fifth Avenue Alley.

Schooley never stopped as he drove across Seventh Street and then Eighth Street, and on the 800 block of the alley, he struck a stone retaining wall with the rear passenger side of his Subaru.

Police said Schooley regained control and accelerated down the alley and after passing a family in the alley, he tried to turn onto Ninth Street and crashed into a parked SUV and the foundation of a home.

When Schooley tried to back out, an Altoona police officer used his patrol SUV to block the Subaru.

Police said Schooley climbed out the passenger door and ran down the alley, and after climbing onto a garage roof on the 900 block of Sixth Avenue, he tried to climb a fence and was met by Altoona police officers on foot.

Schooley allegedly told police he was high on methamphetamine.

A search of Schooley’s Subaru turned up pipes and other paraphernalia, and a small bag of marijuana was found in his pocket.

Schooley was arraigned Wednesday morning with Magisterial District Judge Paula Aigner setting bail at $100,000 cash for the stabbing case and $50,000 cash for the charges related to the chase.

Schooley faces charges that include felony aggravated assault and burglary for the stabbing incident and for the chase he is charged with felony fleeing police and related misdemeanors.

Schooley remains in jail with a preliminary hearing slated for Wednesday.

Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7458.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)