Fire leaves Snyder Township family homeless

Dogs killed in Saturday afternoon blaze

TYRONE — A fire that began in the kitchen of a house in Snyder Township late Saturday afternoon killed two dogs and left a family of six homeless.

The accidental fire damaged the kitchen and led to damage to second floor walls because firefighters had to tear them apart to check for hot spots — while smoke caused additional damage throughout the house, according to Alan Walls, chief of Neptune Fire Company in Tyrone.

The family planned to stay with relatives Saturday night and then hoped to work something out with the American Red Cross, Walls said.

One of the dogs was a boxer, said Walls, who didn’t know the breed of the other.

Walls did not provide the name of the owner of the house, which was large, well-kept and constructed of brick.

From Boyd Avenue in front of the house, the only visible damage was missing and broken windows.

Family members learned about the fire when neighbors called them, about 20 minutes after they’d left the house, Walls said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze with a “good attack with a

1-3/4-inch hose,” Walls said.

The state police fire marshal will come to the scene to investigate on Tuesday, Walls said.

Walls declined to say how he thinks the fire began.

The family has insurance, he said.

Firefighters from Tyrone Blazing Arrow Hookies Fire Department and from Bald Eagle, Warriors Mark and Bellwood were present — a total of 40 or 50 firefighters, Walls said.

Alexandria Fire Co. was on standby.

Mirror Staff Writer William Kibler is at 949-7038.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)