×

Washer motor causes fire alarm

Smoke from an overheated washer motor triggered an alarm that led to evacuation of a home for troubled youths on Logan Boulevard in Allegheny Township on Monday evening.

The alarm led to a response from five fire companies to Hilltop Home, a facility near Convention Center Boulevard operated by Adelphoi Village, according to Dave Cassidy, fire chief at Canan Station, the primary responder, and youth care worker Ken Northam.

When firefighters arrived, it took awhile “to find the culprit,” which had caused a light haze of smoke in the area near the washer, Cassidy said.

There were eight residents in the home at the time, Northam said.

As firefighters milled around outside before departing in the aftermath of the alarm, as dusk was falling, the residents played in back with a basketball.

The initial call to the building — which appeared to be a large, well-kept single-family home — was for a high-occupancy fire alarm, but the dispatcher changed that to a commercial fire alarm, Cassidy said.

The home is an “SIL,”

or center for Specialized Independent Living, Northam said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today