×

Homeowner identifies cause of blaze

Mirror photo by Gary M. Baranec A fire that gutted a Logan Boulevard home Sunday night most likely started with an overheated computer or power strip, the homeowner said.

From Mirror staff reports

A fire that gutted a Logan Boulevard home Sunday night most likely started with an overheated computer or power strip, the homeowner said.

Mike DeCort said he was told by the fire marshal Monday that it was either an overheated computer or the power strip it was plugged into that started the blaze Sunday night that left McCort, his partner, Scott Decker, and their five children homeless.

McCort sat outside the large block house Monday waiting for his insurance company adjuster to arrive and said most of the house is destroyed.

“It’s 99 percent,” McCort said, adding that the first and second floors are destroyed. Structurally, he was told the block house is sound, but whether it will be deemed a total loss or will undergo the extensive repairs will be up to the estimates determined by the insurance company.

The family, for now, is staying at a local hotel.

Decker was out getting pizza when McCort was awakened about 10 p.m. Sunday by a smoke alarm and hustled the five children out of the house. McCort said flames were already headed toward the staircase when the family escaped.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today