Yesteryear-Independent Oil Co.
Rebuilt after a gas explosion in March 1920, the Independent Oil Co. gas station on 16th Street at 13th Avenue was rebuilt and reopened in October as seen in this 1920 photo. The station was owned by Benjamin Cohn and run by his son, Samuel. It sold Mobilgas. It was designed in a “colonial” style of architecture with a gabled roof and painted white with green roof to “look like a bungalow” and surrounded by lawn and flowers. With electric lights on top of the pumps, it operated day and night. The photo was submitted by Michael Farrow of the Blair County Historical Society.
Readers are encouraged to send or deliver old local photographs of general interest for use in Yesteryear. Information about people and places should be included. Photos must be 30 years old or older and should be sent to Yesteryear, Altoona Mirror, P.O. Box 2008, Altoona, PA 16603, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, call Brenda Carberry, community news coordinator, at 814-946-7459.