St. Patrick School in Newry was established in 1921 and was administered by the Sisters of Mercy from Cresson. The school was steeped in Catholic and family tradition, academic mastery and community service. Enrollment has fluctuated throughout the years from its first 87 students to more than 180 students. On April 3, 1944, a fire destroyed both the school and the convent (above) where the sisters lived. Students continued their education in the neighboring public schools. The pastor, Father Jeremiah P. Flynn, and the parishioners were determined to rebuild the school and succeeded with their efforts by Jan. 21, 1945, in spite of wartime restrictions. The new school, convent, and parish hall were dedicated by Bishop Richard T. Guilfoyle in 1945. As enrollment began to grow, two additional classrooms were added later to the school. A full-sized gymnasium (Justin Hall) built in 1991 offers students a facility for physical education classes, play at recess or for practice to prepare for sporting events. The gymnasium converts to an auditorium hosting student musicals and pageants. Again in 2000, ground was broken for the addition of eight new classrooms. This provided space for an upgraded computer lab, expanded library and separate science, art and music classrooms. St. Patrick School is the center of the parish and is responsible for fostering church, civic events and community initiatives. A quilt and craft show to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Patrick’s School in Newry will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14, and Sunday, Nov. 15, in the school gym. Baked goods will be available for purchase. All COVID-19 guidelines will be followed, and masks are to be worn.