Joe Wharton of Bellwood submitted the above postcard/photo of the Fuoss Mills Covered Bridge, which was taken by Sheldon L. Burns. The bridge was built in 1874 and was restored by the Blair County Commissioners and Blair County Historical Society in 1963. It crossed the Little Juniata River in Antis Township. It was located just off Route 220 at a point 3.5 miles west of Tyrone. It was the only remaining covered bridge in Blair County until it was burnt down “by some rotten kids,” on Feb. 26, 1967, according to the back of the postcard. The bridge was erected sometime between 1860 and 1880 and had a 138-foot span. At left is a Mirror archive photo of firemen putting out the blaze.
Readers are encouraged to send or deliver old local photographs of general interest for use in Yesteryear. Information about people and places should be included. Photos must be 30 years old or older and should be sent to Yesteryear, Altoona Mirror, P.O. Box 2008, Altoona, PA 16603, or delivered to the Editorial Department.