Coalport Museum Commission receives dragline models
COALPORT — The recent acquisitions of two dragline models topped the agenda of the Coalport Area Museum Commis-sion meeting held Aug. 20.
Donated to the museum by the daughters of the late Leslie Carson of Brisbin, both are replicas of high-lift bucket drag-lines crafted in 1984. Both of these are now in the process of being refurbished by commission board members, headed by President Bob Counsman, who will also be building a special table on which to exhibit the metal dragline replica with a simulated strip mine.
Another restoration task, that of the original pot-bellied stove that came from the old Irvona station of the NY Central Rail-road, has been on display at the Coalport Coal Mu-seum for the past few months. It was acquired from the former Blain City home of the late George and Ann Sinclair — thanks to current owner Fred Reinelli.
Trina Troxell Corson, museum genealogist, has been working on the Spangle Family, with a database that not only includes 1,251 Spangle family descendents of the original Samuel Spangle of Coalport, but also 866 items in a media folder that includes obituaries, photos, birth, death and marriage certificates, etc. Tom and Bonnie Spangle of Coalport attended the meeting.
The board thanked AARP-SCSEP worker, Pat Onrubia, for the job she has done renovating all the displays, updating the coal museum inventory and cleaning out the back section of the reference room.
The board received an original 1894 “Prayer and Thanksgiving” hymnal book from the old German Church in Rosebud, donated by Diane Andrews.
The next meeting of the Coalport Area Museum Commission is scheduled for 2 p.m. Oct. 22 in the Coalport Community Building on Forest Street. All people interested in the early days of bituminous coal mining industry or the history of the Glendale Valley area are invited to attend.