Area churches and religious organizations have canceled church services and events due to the coronavirus. The list of cancellations is below. As this may not be a complete list of canceled events, the Mirror advises readers to contact any organization to check on the status of any program or event.
n Bishop Mark L. Bartchak has suspended the celebration of all public Masses and all other liturgical celebrations in the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown effective immediately and continuing until further notice. Throughout this time, the dispensed obligation to attend Sunday and Holy Day Masses, granted by the bishop on March 12, remains in effect. Churches will continue to be open for private prayer.
The diocese will broadcast the Sunday Mass at 11 a.m. on WATM ABC 23. The Mass will also be posted on the website, Facebook and Twitter social media platforms.
Funeral Masses, weddings and baptisms will continue to be celebrated, most are limited to immediate family members. Other activities, including Stations of the Cross, novenas, missions and Communal Penance Services will not take place.
The faithful may sign up for text message alerts by texting daj to 84576.
– The musical “Don’t Miss the Grace of God” scheduled for April 3-4 at the Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church. The church hopes to reschedule the event at a later date.
– Providence Presbyterian Church in Altoona has canceled the Free Lunch planned for Saturday, March 21.
– St. John’s Reformed Church, 906 Maple Ave., Hollidaysburg, has canceled services for Sunday, March 22 and March 29.
– Motivate, scheduled for Thursday, March 26, was canceled.
– The Episcopal Bishop of Pittsburgh has asked all clergy and congregations of his diocese to suspend in-person services through Holy Week and Easter Sunday.
The directive from Bishop Dorsey McConnell affects congregations in seven counties throughout southwestern Pennsylvania: Allegheny, Armstrong, Cambria, Indiana, Somerset, Washington and Westmoreland.
– Services at Fairview United Methodist Church, Altoona, for the next two Sundays have been canceled, as well ast the Easter egg hunt at noon April 4. For more information, call Pastor Sallie Swenson at 515-2507.
– Services at Mardorf United Methodist Church, Altoona, for the next two Sundays have been canceled, as well ast the Easter egg hunt and dinner April 4. For more information, call Pastor Sallie Swenson at 515-2507.
– The Blair Votes for Women 100 group has canceled its meeting for Monday, March 23, at Temple Beth Israel.
– The Twenty-eighth Street Church of the Brethren, 2800 Union Ave., Altoona, has canceled its food pantry and free soup event on Saturday, March 21. Any clients in need of emergency help can call 207-8293.
– Organ concert set for Sunday, March 22, at Mount Carmel Church, Altoona, is canceled.
– Holy Trinity Catholic School, 5519 Sixth Ave., Altoona, bingo has been canceled until March 31.
– The 15th annual Wild Game Feast scheduled for Saturday, March 21, at the Altoona Alliance Church, 3220 Pleasant Valley Blvd., Altoona, has been rescheduled for Saturday, June 13. Doors open at 4 p.m.; meal at 5 p.m. For more information, call the church office at 944-0171.
– John’s Way Medical Equipment Ministry will be closed until further notice. If you have equipment to return, please wait until it re-opens.
– The Easter egg hunt scheduled for April 4 at Vets Field has been canceled.
– The Sacred Music Library located in the Hollidaysburg First Presbyterian Church, Clark and Walnut streets, is closed until further notice.
– St. John’s Reformed Church, 906 Maple Ave., has canceled the Hollidaysburg Free Soup Program on Saturday, March 21.
– The Northern Cambria Catholic School has canceled its indoor yard sale, book and bake sale that was scheduled for March 21 in the St. Nicholas Church Hall, Nicktown.
– Altoona First Church of the Brethren is canceling all services through March 25. For more information, contact Bill Stratton at 942-7536 or email@example.com.
– The local branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 778 Brush Mountain Road, Hollidaysburg, has suspended services until further notice. This includes Sunday worship services, conferences and any church-related activities. Local members will be kept up to date on their Altoona Ward Facebook page and with weekly emails from leadership. More information is available at www.churchof
jesuschrist.org. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The Wednesday Lenten lunches at Wehnwood United Methodist Church have been canceled for the next two weeks. For more information, call the church office at 942-6081 or email wehn email@example.com.
– Friday night Lenten seafood buffets and bingo are canceled until further notice at St. Patrick’s Parish.
– St. Patrick’s Newry bingo on Saturday and Monday nights is canceled.
– Champion Life Church has canceled the third annual Eggstravaganza. There are no plans to reschedule it.