Steelers agree to terms with Conner
PITTSBURGH — James Conner is officially a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The former Pitt running back who has overcome cancer signed a four-year deal with the Steelers on Thursday. Pittsburgh selected Conner in the third round of the draft last month.
Conner, who set Atlantic Coast Conference records for total touchdowns (56) and rushing touchdowns (52), will wear No. 30 with the Steelers.
Pittsburgh also signed long snapper Colin Holba to a four-year deal. Holba served as the long snapper at Louisville in 2015 and 2016.
The Steelers have now signed four of their eight draft picks. First-round pick T.J. Watt, second-round pick Juju Smith-Schuster, third-round pick Cameron Sutton and fourth-round pick Josh Dobbs have yet to come to terms.
Pittsburgh is holding a camp for rookies and first-year players starting today.
CLEVELAND — Josh Gordon won’t be back in the NFL anytime soon.
A person with knowledge of the decision tells The Associated Press that the Cleveland Browns wide receiver has been denied reinstatement by the NFL. The person, speaking Thursday on condition of anonymity because the decision has not been announced publicly, says Gordon can reapply for reinstatement in the fall.
Gordon has been suspended several times by the league, including the current ban for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. He also was suspended for 10 games in 2014, then for the 2015 season, all for substance abuse violations.
Now 26, Gordon rejoined the Browns last summer, then entered a rehab facility in September. He appeared days away from returning to Cleveland’s roster but voluntarily entered the facility, saying he wanted to “gain full control of my life and continue on a path to reach my full potential as a person.” He completed a 30-day stay for an unspecified condition.
After leading the NFL in yards receiving in 2013, Gordon barely has played, getting into only five games in 2014.
Cardinals announce QB’s deal
TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Cardinals have officially announced the signing of quarterback Blaine Gabbert to a one-year contract.
Gabbert presumably will compete for the backup job behind 37-year-old starter Carson Palmer. Drew Stanton has filled that role since coach Bruce Arians came to the Cardinals in 2013.
Jacksonville made Gabbert the 10th-overall pick in the draft out of Missouri in 2011. He played three seasons with the Jaguars and the last three with San Francisco.
He opened last season as the 49ers’ starter but his erratic play during their 1-4 start led to his benching in favor of Colin Kaepernick, who remains unsigned for the coming season.
Raiders move delayed?
LAS VEGAS — The Oakland Raiders and the public entity that oversees their proposed stadium in Las Vegas have a little over a week to agree on a conditional lease to avoid any delays on the team’s relocation.
Raiders President Marc Badain on Thursday said the lease agreement is on the agenda of the NFL league owners’ meetings scheduled to begin later this month. If one is not presented, there is a “distinct possibility” that team’s move to Sin City could be pushed until the 2021 season, Badain said.
“In order to approve a lease, you need full membership, and the league has four meetings a year: one in March, one in May, one in October and one in December,” Badain said after a public meeting of the Las Vegas Stadium Authority board. “So, if you miss the May deadline, you push to October, we would lose a year, and everybody wants to get this project going everybody wants to get these guys to work. So we didn’t want to miss that deadline.”