Dellinger takes successful journey through consys

Hollidaysburg’s Gus Dellinger traveled a stressful road through the consolation rounds of the Northwest Regional Class 3A Tournament.

The road ended up taking him to Hershey.

Dellinger won three straight consolation bouts on Saturday to reach the third-place bout. He pinned Bellefonte’s Max Barrier in 2:45 for his first win, got by Erie’s Dominic Sigler, 3-2, in the consolation quarterfinals and then beat Shikellamy’s Adam Young, 5-3, in the consy semifinals.

Meadville’s Thomas Pollard beat Dellinger, 3-2, on Friday in the quarterfinals, but Dellinger held a 1-0 lead in the second period when he threw him to his back near the end of the second period for four nearfall points and a 5-0 lead. Dellinger threw Pollard again in the third period.

The pin came in 4:04, thrilling the Hollidaysburg crowd and Dellinger, who hugged coach Christian Harr.

“I wrestled him yesterday, and I was talking to Coach Harr about things I did wrong in that match,” Dellinger said. “I listened to his advice and I put it to work on the mat.”

The third-place bout carries the most pressure of the whole tournament. Win it and you’re going to the state tournament. Lose and your dreams are dashed.

The pressure was definitely there for Dellinger.

“I was feeling it,” Dellinger said. “It was a big match. I really wanted to obviously win and make it to states.”

Dellinger’s upper body throws were missing from his first encounter with Pollard.

“The first time, I was getting to a lot of underhooks, and I really wasn’t jacking him like I did that match,” Dellinger said. “That was Coach Harr’s advice to me, so I just followed that, and it worked out.”

“I had a discussion with Coach (Mike) Moore before we went out to wrestle that match,” Harr said. “We kind of decided that we need to get (Pollard) up in the air, and he did that. Obviously that’s what happens when you get somebody up in the air. They go to their back.”

Dellinger, a rugby star and football player, was thrilled to be able to qualify for Hershey.

“It’s great,” Dellinger said. “It was a goal of mine from the beginning of the year, so to accomplish it feels awesome.”

McCready hits milestone

Hollidaysburg’s Mason McCready’s 11-0 win over Punxsutawney’s Garrett Eddy in the 182-pound Northwest semifinals was the 100th of his career.

When the bout was over, his family held a 100-win sign in the stands, and the public address announcer recognized the milestone.

McCready was pinned in the finals by Cathedral Prep state champ Carter Starocci.

Simmering emotions

Cathedral Prep’s Kawaun DeBoe nearly got a takedown of Altoona’s Nate Simmers at the edge of the mat with 10 seconds left in their 285-pound title bout.

After the referee blew the whistle, Simmers stood and nearly went nose to nose with the much taller and bigger DeBoe.

Simmers, who lost 1-0, was asked what caused his reaction.

“As we started going out of bounds, he said some things into my ear,” Simmers said, “and spit on me a little bit. I really did not like that. Even wrestling during that whole match, he had been trying to break my finger. He’d grab the finger when we locked hands and twist. That just set me off, and I’ve never been set off during a match before.”

Todd Irwin can be reached at He can be followed on Twitter at @ToddIrwin1.