Paden, Czap claim ladies title by topping 53 teams
ORE HILL – It was a long time between championships, but Gwen Paden is back on top of the Iron Masters Ladies Classic.
Paden, of Duncansville, teamed with Jody Czap, of Philipsburg, to win the 20th annual Iron Masters Ladies event Tuesday, beating a field of 53 other teams.
Paden and Czap shot rounds of 73 Monday and 73 Tuesday to win the championship by five strokes.
Barb Pagana, of Selinsgrove, and Patty Lang, of Meadville, the defending champs and winners in four of the previous five events, finished second with a two-day total of 151. Pagana and Lang were six shots back after the first day and, despite the day’s best round of 72 Tuesday, couldn’t overtake Paden and Czap.
Paden and former teammate Patti Dodson “won the first year and I think we won the third and the sixth, and this is the 20th year, so it’s been probably at least 14 years ago,” in between championships, for Paden, who remains one of the driving forces of the event, which attracts many of the top women amateur golfers from Pennsylvania.
“This is only our second year (as teammates),” Czap said, “but we compete against each other a lot in Central Counties.
“We tied for second here last year, but we lost in a card-off,” Czap noted.
Paden calls Iron Masters her home course while Czap lists the Philipsburg Elks Country Club as her home.
Monday’s heavy rains forced play to be halted for awhile but the women played through Tuesday’s damp weather.
“Yesterday, on the front, we had a 35,” Paden said. “Today, we made some bogeys and had a 38. We had one birdie on the front – I birdied 9 – so we were two over. Then we bogeyed 10 and 11, so we were four over, but we parred 12 and then went on a birdie streak – 13, 14, 15 and 16.”
“We were consistent,” Czap said. “We complement each other well.
“I know these greens well,” Paden said, “but she (Czap) made a lot of good putts.”
Paden said she and Czap knew they had a good chance to win after Pagana and Lang’s poor first round, “but we also knew there were a lot of teams capable (of catching us).”
“When we were four over after 11, we knew we had to make some kind of move , and we did,” Czap said.
Tourney notes: Despite the rain, superintendent Kellie Aungst had the course in great shape. … Club pro Tom Koehle and his staff kept things moving. … A total of 108 golfers (54 teams) participated and Paden said there’s a waiting list of about 20 more teams who would like to play.
Iron Masters Ladies Classic
1. Gwen Paden-Jody Czap 146; 2. Barb Pagana-Patti Lang 151; 3. Barb Roberts-Kelly Grimes and Danielle Mitchell-Robin Craig 152; 5. Carolyn Thompson-Patti Nellis and Darlene Grove-Michelle Day 154; 7. Kate Conway-Suz Price 155; 8. Anita Jo Petrusky-Deb Long 162; 9. Cindy Trimarco-Jill Hileman 166.
1. Beth Emert-Cathy Traister 160; 2. Beth Lunger-Merri Walter 164; 3. Barb Fiore-Elaine Magee 165; 4. Joanne VanSaun-Margaret Lunger, Cathy Bloom-Judy Kochman and Mary Beth Guyette-Ruby Carmen 169; 7. Beth Allwine-Joan Finko and Barb Eckroth-Jan Pekich 171; 9. Brenda Kaylor-Rebecca Smith 175; 10. Deb Shaffer-Mindy Platt 177; 11. Paula Bowser-Toni Semanko 179.
1. Jenn Johnston-Sandy Hassinger 172; 2. Janice Evans-Shelly Stallsmith and Connie Bolger-Denise Kelly 173; 4. Deb Goodman-Wava Baer 174; 5. Leslie Salamon-Sharon Smith 175; 6. Janie Shaffer-Susan Haag and Peg Bryant-Sara Proctor 176; 8. Abby Love-Megan Love 180; 9. Bev Doebler-Judy Heckman 184.
1. Beth Steffy-Sandy Rishell 179; 2. Barb Holtz-Chris Sisto 181; 3. Cindy Vaughn-Donna Morgan, Jane Koss-Sue Cotright and Kathy Bottenfield-Linda Wise 182; 6. Carol Lucas-Sandi Myers 187; 7. Deb Showalter-Patti Dodson, Barb Schneider-Janice Paul, Khris Lunger-Pat Noble and Anna Myers-Loane Maier 188; 11. Nancy Moore-Sylvia Schraff 190; 12. Jessica Genter-Sandy Nypaver 191.
1. Georgie Myers-Val Patrick 191; 2. Alice Knowles-Marilyn Knowles and Lisa Michelone-Sue Whie; 4. Angela Gardner-Danene Engle 193; 5. Cathy Jo Miller-Nancy Moskel 196; 6. Ann Harbaugh-Laura Phillipi 198; 7. Ann Anderson-Dottie Ambrose 199; 8. Cathy Wreski-Tillo Brendle-Ratcliff, Jenny Garland-Marge Lazor and Nancy Gallagher-Sue Suehr 201; 11. JoEllyn Flynn-Kathy Kopchick 203; 12. Ella Heckert-Kathy Train 217; 13. Carmen Gurney-Marla Tetlock 221.