Querry’s effort not enough for Bisons

JOHNSTOWN – Strong goaltending is a necessity to earn a win in soccer.

Thursday night, Bedford got an exceptional effort from its freshman goaltender, Katie Querry. She was under fire most of the night and came up with numerous big saves to keep the Bisons in the game.

Unfortunately for Querry and the Bedford girls, her effort was not enough. Westmont Hilltop got two balls behind Querry into the net and limited Bedford to a minimal number of shots and no goals to defeat the Bisons, 2-0, in the District 6 Class AA girls quarterfinals at Richland High School.

“I thought she did outstanding all season,” Bedford coach Barrett Schrock said of Querry’s play. “For a freshman to come in and play starting keeper position all season on the varsity team, I think that’s excellent. She showed that again tonight, only giving up two goals when we were in our defensive end most of the game. I thought she played excellent.”

Bedford came out and controlled the play the first few minutes of the game. A little more than 2 minutes into the game, the Bisons passed the ball across the net. A Hilltopper defender cleared the ball out of danger. The Bisons had the ball on the Westmont side of the field for most of the first 8 minutes of the game. However, things quickly changed.

Westmont controlled the ball the rest of the half, forcing Bedford to play on its side of the field. The Hilltoppers had a bunch of chances to tally the first score. At the 32:08 mark, Westmont had a strong attack, but Querry came out and punched the ball away. Less than a minute later, Querry made a sliding save before colliding with Westmont’s Isabella Letzo. Querry had come out and kicked away another chance a little more than 1 minute later.

The Bisons continued to have trouble getting the ball out of their territory. Querry came out to grab the ball to stop another Hilltopper attack with 26:43 left in the half. Two minutes later, Bedford survived another scare. Westmont’s Quinn Callihan collided with Querry. The loose ball found the foot of Francesca Ramirez, but her kick went wide to keep the game scoreless.

After dodging bullets throughout the first half, Bedford’s luck ran out less than 2 minutes later. Ramirez led an attack into Bedford’s end of the field. She passed the ball across to Shyleigh Hughes, who dribbled around a Bison defender and shot the ball past Querry into the far side of the net to give Westmont a 1-0 lead with 23 minutes left in the half.

Westmont Hilltop continued to push the attack the rest of the half. The Hilltoppers missed chances to add to their lead late in the half, kicking one ball over the crossbar on one attack and kicking the ball wide off a crossing pass on another attack.

Bedford finally put together a strong attack late in the half. The Lady Bisons crossed the ball into the middle of the box, but Westmont was able to clear the ball to keep them off the scoreboard.

The second half was a mirror image of the first half. Bedford had an early advantage. The Bisons mounted an attack off the second-half kickoff, but Westmont’s goalie came out and grabbed the ball. As the half progressed, though, Westmont took control of field possession. Just like the first half, Querry made a cavalcade of amazing saves.

Almost 10 minutes into the half, Letzo intercepted a Bedford clearing pass and launched a rising shot on goal. Querry jumped up and got her hands on the ball. The ball bounced off the crossbar and rolled in front of the net. Callihan tried to get the ball away from Querry, but Querry scrambled on the ground to secure the ball to keep Callihan from tucking it into the net.

Less than 1 minute later, Querry could not make the save, though. Maura Milligan got a ball behind Querry to take a 2-0 lead.


Bedford0 0 – 0

Westmont Hilltop1 1 – 2

First Half: WH-Hughes (Ramirez), 23:00.

Second Half: WH-Milligan, 29:14.