Sports at a glance

Shazier still with Steelers

PITTSBURGH — Ryan Shazier will be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019 as he continues his recovery from a spinal injury.

The team tolled the linebacker’s contract for next season, meaning it will be carried over from 2018. Shazier did not play last season while recuperating from a spinal injury suffered in Cincinnati on Dec. 4, 2017. The deal allows Shazier to continue having medical coverage and gives him another season toward his league pension.

The move keeps Shazier on Pittsburgh’s 90-man roster, though he eventually will be placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list.

The 26-year-old Shazier spent last season as a de facto coach and scout for Pittsburgh, reviewing film with teammates and mentoring inside linebackers Jon Bostic, Vince Williams and Tyler Matakevich.

AP: Browns get Beckham

CLEVELAND — Odell Beckham Jr. is about to run a deep route out of New Jersey and straight to Cleveland.

The superstar wide receiver is bound for the Browns to be a target for quarterback Baker Mayfield as the center piece of a blockbuster trade, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The Browns are sending a first- and third-round pick in 2019 along with safety Jabrill Peppers to the Giants for Beckham, one of the NFL’s top players, said the people who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because league rules prohibit teams from announcing trades until 4 p.m. today.

Woods feels much better

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — Tiger Woods says a sore neck that kept him out of Bay Hill last week is no longer painful.

That doesn’t mean the end of neck pain down the road. Woods says with a fused lower back, the stress from a golf swing has to go somewhere. He says it started to bother him a little at Riviera, and then more the following week in Mexico City.

Woods says his job is to make sure to stay fit and flexible. He used the word “pliable” three times during his news conference at The Players Championship.

Woods is the only player in the 144-man field at the TPC Sawgrass who has won The Players in March and in May. The tournament returns to March for the first time since 2006.

US soccer takes shape

CHICAGO — Omar Gonzalez and Tim Ream are back with the U.S. national team for the first time since 2017, and new coach Gregg Berhalter omitted Brad Guzan, Jorge Villafana and Bobby Wood from his first roster with the full player pool.

Berhalter also left off young players Josh Sargent, Tim Weah and Cameron Carter-Vickers for the exhibitions against Ecuador and Houston. Berhalter said Tuesday the under-23 team will play a pair of games this month, its first since failing to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, and they appear headed for that group.

He did select a trio of 20-year-olds who form the core of the rebuilt U.S. midfield: Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie and Tyler Adams.

Jordan Morris, a 24-year-old forward, is back for the first time since tearing his right anterior cruciate ligament in February 2018.

Kellyn Acosta and Darlington Nagbe are among those left off the 24-man roster.

Berhalter was hired in December, 14 months after the U.S. lost at Trinidad and Tobago, ending a streak of seven straight World Cup appearances.

The Associated Press

COMMENTS