Dodgers put Kershaw on disabled list

The Associated Press

MONTERREY, Mexico — Los Angeles Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw was put on the 10-day disabled list with left biceps tendinitis and returned to Los Angeles on Sunday for tests.

Los Angeles manager Dave Roberts said the left-hander got hurt before Saturday*s game against San Diego.

“It*s little bit head-scratching, but we have to keep moving forward,” Roberts said. “I know he*s frustrated, because he wants to carry the load.”

Kershaw is 1-4 with a 2.68 ERA this season with 48 strikeouts and 10 walks in 44 innings.

“I got word from the training staff yesterday when he was trying to play catch that it just was not feeling right,” Roberts said. “He said that during his last start he felt it just a little bit, and we gave him a couple of extra days.”

Kershaw allowed two runs and six hits over six innings on Tuesday against Arizona. Roberts hopes the injury is limited to the biceps.

“If it was more of a other part of the arm, it would be more concerning, but being the biceps we are more hopeful,” Roberts said.

Kershaw will be examined by head team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache.

A three-time NL Cy Young Award winner, Kershaw is on the disabled list for the fourth time. He was sidelined from March 23 to May 5, 2014, with a major muscle strain in his back, from June 27 to Sept. 9, 2016, with a herniated disk in his lower back and from July 24 to Sept. 1 last year with a lower back strain.

Kershaw is earning $30.4 million this year in the fifth season of a $215 million, seven-year contract, but has the right to opt out after the World Series and become a free agent, giving up salaries of $32 million next year and $33 million in 2020.

Los Angeles recalled right-hander Brock Stewart from Triple-A Oklahoma City on Sunday to replace him.

Mets lose deGrom

NEW YORK — The New York Mets reversed course and put right-hander Jacob deGrom on the disabled list with a hyperextended elbow in his pitching arm.

The 29-year-old was hurt while batting last Wednesday against Atlanta, and after an MRI and scan New York said he had been given the OK to make today’s start at Cincinnati.

Instead, he was put on the 10-day disabled list Sunday. The move was retroactive to Thursday, making deGrom eligible to be activated May 13, when the Mets play a series finale at Philadelphia.

“He threw a bullpen yesterday totally pain free, but the more and more we talked about this, we need to take care of the season and Jacob deGrom and the New York Mets,” first-year manager Mickey Calloway said. “We sat down and talked about the welfare of our team moving forward, not reacting on what’s been going on lately, which would have been a mistake.”

DeGrom is 3-0 with a 2.06 ERA in seven starts.

New York selected the contract of left-hander P.J. Conlon from Las Vegas of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League, and the 24-year-old is to start today against the Reds in his big league debut.

The Mets are coming off an 0-6 homestand as they hit the road.

Molina hurting

ST. LOUIS — The St. Louis Cardinals say catcher Yadier Molina has undergone surgery and is expected to miss a month after being hit in the groin by a foul tip.

The Cardinals placed Molina on the 10-day disabled list Sunday. They said the eight-time All-Star is projected to miss at least four weeks with what the team called a “pelvic injury with traumatic hematoma.”

Molina left Saturday’s game against the Chicago Cubs in the eighth inning after being hit in the groin when Kris Bryant a tipped 102-mph pitch from reliever Jordan Hicks. Molina immediately fell to the ground in pain.

“That was a bad one, and those ones don’t necessarily felt better (the next day),” St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said after the game. “It was hard to see.”

The 35-year-old Molina is hitting 272 with six home runs and 17 RBIs this season. He was replaced on the active roster by catcher Carson Kelly, who was called up from Triple-A Memphis.

COMMENTS