Giants talking Stanton trade scenario

The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Giants general manager Bobby Evans confirmed on San Francisco’s flagship radio station KNBR that the club has reached the parameters of a potential trade for Miami slugger Giancarlo Stanton.

Evans spoke Wednesday of the Giants’ pursuit of the Marlins star, saying San Francisco executives gathered with the NL MVP and his representatives in “a good meeting” last week.

“The specifics of the deal are not something that we feel comfortable discussing, but ultimately our hope is that if he does choose to come here, we’ll be able to fold him in with a winning club,” Evans said Wednesday. “In terms of our deal it just has a number of contingencies, one of course that’s paramount is relative to his full no trade and that’s a decision that really comes from him. But our terms with the Marlins are clear.”

Marlins CEO Derek Jeter said Tuesday that Miami has not decided whether to trade Stanton, still owed $295 million from his record $325 million, 13-year contract.

San Francisco was last in the NL West at 64-98.

Boone introduced

NEW YORK — Aaron Boone was pulling into the driveway of his home in Scottsdale, Arizona, last Thursday, bringing 8-year-old daughter Bella home from school so his wife could drive her to a dance lesson, and he noticed a missed call from Brian Cashman.

Boone called back the New York Yankees general manager as his wife looked on and said Cashman told him: “Hey, just first and foremost, I want to make sure you’re completely on board and understanding the commitment level that is now expected of you.”

“If that’s the case,” Boone recalled Cashman saying, “I’m going to recommend to ownership that you’re the guy we move forward and focus on.”

And with that, at age 44 Boone had secured his first manager or coaching job of any kind since his retirement as a player eight years ago.

Boone was introduced Wednesday as New York’s manager during a news conference at Yankee Stadium, where televisions throughout the ballpark showed images of him rounding the bases in triumph after his 11th-inning home run off Boston’s Tim Wakefield won Game 7 of the 2003 AL Championship Series for the Yankees.

“It’s certainly something that I’m known for in my baseball life, obviously, and in some way probably is a contributor to me being here today,” he said.

Among six candidates for the job, Boone so impressed Cashman and his staff that no second round of interviews was needed.

“The interview process is to try to determine how Aaron ticks and if he an extension of our philosophies or pretty close to an extension of our philosophies and what kind of decision-making process he would gravitate to,” Cashman said. “That doesn’t mean there won’t be some growing pains on the beginning end, and we’re OK with that.”

Cashman recommended Boone after consulting with a smorgasbord of his modern-day front office people.

“There was a difference of opinion among the participants as to who their number two- or three-choice was, but there was little-to-no difference of opinion as to who their number-one choice was,” Steinbrenner said. “It wasn’t even close.”

Extending nets

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Indians and Minnesota Twins are the latest Major League Baseball teams to announce plans to expand safety netting at their ballparks for the 2018 season.

The Indians will extend the current vertical netting behind home plate down the foul lines at Progressive Field to the ends of the dugouts in an effort to better protect fans from hard-hit foul balls and bats flying into the stands. Also, the canopy nets will be stretched slightly farther down the third-base line.

The Twins will raise the height of their existing protective netting above the dugouts from 7 feet to about 9 feet. They’ll also extend the netting beyond the dugouts down both foul lines along the entire Dugout Box seating area, covering one more section along the first-base line and two more sections along the third-base line. Lower-level seats at Target Field are closer to home plate than in any other MLB venue.

A Minor deal

ARLINGTON, Texas — A day after meeting in Los Angeles with star Japanese star pitcher-outfielder Shoehi Ohtani, Texas Rangers officials were back home in Texas to introduce left-hander Mike Minor after finalizing a $28 million, three-year contract.

Minor gets a $1 million signing bonus and salaries of $8 million next season and $9.5 million each in 2019 and 2020. He has a limited no-trade provision that allows him to list 10 teams each year he can’t be traded to without his consent.

He was 6-6 with a 2.55 ERA in 78 innings over 65 relief appearances last season with Kansas City. He previously was a starter for Atlanta before missing the 2015 and 2016 seasons with shoulder issues. The Braves picked him seventh overall in the 2009 amateur draft.

A’s search continues

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Oakland Athletics’ proposed site for a new ballpark near an Oakland community college has fallen through, leaving the club to explore other options as it makes a new venue top priority.

A statement from the board of the Peralta Community College District said it had directed the chancellor to discontinue talks about a possible ballpark near Laney College.

A’s President Dave Kaval and his team had considered this the top spot and had engaged in conversations with community members, officials and business owners in the area in hopes of building a privately financed ballpark to open as soon as 2023.

Kaval’s group had finalized three spots, including one called Howard Terminal along the water near Jack London Square in downtown Oakland.

COMMENTS