New York gets good, bad news on same day

The Associated Press

NEW YORK — The New York Mets have shifted third baseman David Wright to the 60-day disabled list, further delaying his return following neck surgery. The Mets made a series of roster moves before playing Philadelphia on Thursday night. The 34-year-old Wright played some in spring training, but wasn’t active once the regular season began. The oft-injured team captain was limited to 37 games last year, batting .226 with seven home runs and 14 RBIs. Wright went through pregame drills on the field and took batting practice Wednesday. Manager Terry Collins said Wright played catch for the first time in two or three weeks. Wright is trying to rebuild his arm strength. Closer Jeurys Familia has rejoined the team after serving a 15-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy. New York activated Familia before Thursday night’s game against Philadelphia. Manager Terry Collins said he’d like to use Familia right away, if possible. The 27-year-old Familia led the majors with a team-record 51 saves last year. The suspension cost him $730,328 of his $7,425,000 salary.

Boston Red Sox TORONTO — Red Sox manager John Farrell said pitcher David Price has been dealing with “soreness” in his recovery from an injured left elbow. Price threw on flat ground for the second straight day before Thursday afternoon’s game against Toronto. He is to throw a bullpen session in Baltimore today. He felt discomfort in his elbow after a two-inning simulated game in February. Price is in the second season of a $217 million, seven-year contract.

St. Louis Cardinals MILWAUKEE — Infielder Jhonny Peralta was put on the 10-day disabled list by the St. Louis Cardinals because of an upper respiratory issue. Peralta sat out the four previous games, and the move was retroactive to Sunday. He is hitting .120 (3 for 25) with no RBIs.

COMMENTS