CRESSON - St. Francis Xavier Parish held its closing centennial celebration Sept. 20, exactly 100 years from its Mass of dedication Sept. 20, 1909, when Bishop Eugene A. Garvey laid the cornerstone.
A Mass of thanksgiving was held with Bishop Joseph V. Adamec as celebrant, and a dinner was held at Cosgrave Center on the Mount Aloysius College campus.
Other activities to mark the end of a year of celebration included a choral concert held Sept. 13 at the church with about 65 singers representing 10 different churches. It was directed by Kevin J. Luke, director of music at St. Francis Xavier.
A time capsule was buried Sept. 19. It is not to be opened for 25 years. The capsule contains newspaper articles, church bulletins, letters, minutes from centennial planning meetings, a scroll of church members names and a DVD of activities.
One of the highlights of the year was the dedication of the remodeled Centennial Hall. Two dinners have been held in the hall and other events are being planned for its use.
In commemoration of the year, Christmas cards were printed with scenes from the church throughout the years and a DVD "The First 100 Years." was made. A DVD of the yearlong celebration is being created and will be available at the end of October.
Those items can be purchased by calling the parish office at 886-2374.
A parish pictorial directory and a centennial commemorative booklet also were made.