| || |
Perfect last minute gift ideas
December 21, 2007 - Amy Jo Hanna-Eckenrode
So, you little over-achiever, do you have all your shopping done? I bet you have your gifts wrapped too?
I don’t like your kind. It’s not personal. I’m just not one of you. I’m a ‘last minute-er’. You know, the kind that drives you organized people crazy? I always have been. Always will be. It’s in my genetic make-up. I thrive on the excitement and anticipation… and heartburn… and unnecessary stress... of waiting until the last minute. Plus it makes those around me all tense and stressed which only adds to the excitement and drama…
(left: Jess waiting patiently under the tree for Santa)
However, if you still have last minute gifts you need to buy or are still trying to figure out what to get those people on your list who either 1. have everything, 2. don’t like anything 2. are just hard to buy for → here are some “always good” ideas:
1. The Humane Society of the United States invites you to tackle your holiday shopping from the comfort and convenience of your own home this season — and know that your purchases are also helping to support animals in need. CLICK HERE
2. The ASPCA offers the Top 10 Holiday Gifts that help animals, too, PLUS every purchase you make at the ASPCA Online Store helps to support their programs to prevent cruelty to animals. CLICK HERE
3. Here's is one near and dear to my heart. Make a donation in the name of your gift recipient to an animal rescue group. Every rescue group (and there are groups for every breed of dog and cat out there) are manned by volunteers. They run on donations. (For example, my Mazey was rescued by the Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary in WV. Or, my Jesse who was rescued by the Golden Retriever Rescue of Central PA.
4. Don't forget about your local humane society. They are always in need of funds especially this time of year with extra heating costs. CLICK HERE for Central PA Humane Society
5. National Wildlife Federation - Every purchase you make from National Wildlife Federation helps fund a wide range of conservation and educational programs making a difference for nature and helping to protect wildlife for our children’s future.
6. Petfinder.com - One of my favorite sites: Petfinder.com is the temporary home to 265,594 adoptable pets from 11,543 adoption groups. Through their site you can sponsor a homeless pet even if you can't adopt one. They also have a great online store where proceeds benefit the care of homeless animals.
Point is, there are endless opportunities and organizations to pick from and they all would be beyond grateful for your donation. Place it in the name of somebody else and you’ve just added two more feathers to your angel wings.
Merry Christmas. May you find the unconditional love of a special fur-baby this holiday. There's nothing like it.