| || |
September 18, 2007 - Amy Jo Hanna-Eckenrode
Here is one more tale (tail?) from co-worker Lori. After her incident with Benson, I've been after her to retell the story. It is definitely one we can all learn from!:
(right: the infamous Benson) That could only mean one thing...As my family and co-workers know, Benson has a history of eating non-edible, non-digestible things. We've been careful to keep an eye on Benson when he has a stuffed raccoon or hedgehog (his favorites) and pay close attention to inspect them regularly for any signs of wear. We have replaced many of them before their time to be sure nothing has a chance to come off. When we buy a new toy I take the time to cut off tags, strings or anything else that he may easily chew off other than the arms and tails.
Then in early October 2005, he started getting sick. Vomiting up everything he ate or drank. The first day we figured he'd just eaten something in the yard that didn't agree with him. When it continued the next day, we started to really worry. He had started having diarrhea as well and what wasn't coming out one end was coming out the other. With nothing left in his stomach, he continued to vomit slimy yellowish fluid - bile - from his digestive tract. He would try to drink but it all came back up. I took him right in to the vet.After a few routine questions, check-up and an x-ray to rule out the chance of an obstruction, I told him to do whatever he needed to do, this is our baby! The x-ray showed he probably had eaten something that wasn't agreeing with him. The vet gave me a concoction of medicine for his vomiting and diarrhea and sent us on our way.
Other than the vomiting and diarrhea, he seemed fine. He'd run and play and we had even gone to the park to chase tennis balls. But he still wasn't eating much and though the vomiting seemed to slow at first, it started up again just as bad as before. Back to the vet. We got more medicine and were sent on our way.
They operated the next morning and Dr. Takacs called us on a regular basis, day and night, to let us know how Benson was doing and answered any questions we had. We wouldn't get to go back to see him until the day following the surgery. Dr. Takacs showed us what was causing all the problems. Benson did indeed have a blockage, one that took up the better part of a small zip-lock bag. He had swallowed some of the batting that he had torn out of a blanket. It stretched out in his stomach and intestines like a net trapping everything he was eating. We could actually identify the collection that came from his insides as things that came from our house! His collection of non-edibles could be traced back for a few months. Everything had been accumulating for a while. Our guess is that when he'd jump around, he may have dislodged this mass enough to digest and pass at least some food.
Benson, now almost 3 1/2 years old, is happy and healthy. We have been told that his ordeal in no way should affect him living a long life. We'll be the first to suggest
* Pay close attention to your pets.
PS -If any of you have any 'tough toy' favorites, please let us know! We are always on the look out for new, durable toys for our boys!