Altoona man allegedly pushes wife from moving car

Police say woman dragged through intersection by Prough

An Altoona man faces felony charges after Logan Township police said he pushed his wife from a car and dragged her through an intersection

Kevin S. Prough, 54, of 232 Parshall Lane, Apt. 6, was taken into custody at UPMC Altoona on Wednesday morning after he drove his wife to the emergency room following the alleged incident at the intersection of East Pleasant Valley Boulevard and Bellmeade Drive, according to police.

Prough was allegedly drunk and driving a Nissan Altima on a DUI suspended license about 7:25 a.m. when he opened the passenger door, pushed his wife out of the car and drove through the intersection.

Police said the woman was wearing a seat belt and was dragged along the road as he drove with the door open.

Another driver and his passengers told police they saw the driver of the Altima pull out from a red light with a woman hanging out of the open passenger side door. The other motorist and his passengers then helped the woman, who was hanging onto the seat belt, get back into the Altima after Prough pulled over on East Pleasant Valley Boulevard.

When Logan Township police arrived at the scene, Prough was gone and the other driver told officers the driver of the Altima said he was driving the woman to the emergency room before he drove away.

Logan Township police tracked Prough down at UPMC Altoona’s emergency room, where his wife was waiting to be treated.

Police said Prough was parking the car when officers arrived at the emergency room and he allegedly smelled of alcohol.

Prough allegedly told officers his wife had asked him to take her to the hospital, and while enroute, she tried to get out of the car while he was driving.

When officers talked to Prough’s wife in one of the emergency room treatment bays, she said they had an argument over a TV show before they went to bed. They had been drinking that night but had stopped at about 2:30 a.m., she told police.

When they woke up, they continued arguing, and she asked him to drive her to the hospital.

Prough’s wife said she was dragged by the car because he opened the door, pushed her out and started to drive.

Police noted that Prough was unable to complete field sobriety tests at the hospital after he spoke with officers, and a preliminary breath test showed his blood-alcohol level to be 0.19 percent.

Prough was arraigned Wednesday by Magisterial District Judge Steven Jackson and released on an unsecured $20,000 bond. He was charged with felony counts of aggravated assault and misdemeanor counts of recklessly endangering another person and DUI. Police also cited Prough with driving on a DUI-suspended license.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 25 before Jackson.