Dog found alive after fire

Pablo the Chihuahua located in damaged home Friday morning

HOLLIDAYSBURG — The animals in the house struck by lightning along Jones Street on Thursday evening are all safe, Phoenix Volunteer Fire Company President Dave Zeek said Friday.

Firefighters saved two dogs, two cats and three rabbits from the house fire that resulted from lighting striking a chimney at 213 Jones St.

The owner, Sandy Hazlett, was not home during the incident.

She said Friday that she was called at the library and told that her house was struck by lighting. When she arrived, all but one of her animals was safe; a black Chihuahua named Pablo had still been missing. The house sustained a lot of damage from fire, smoke and water, but Pablo was found Friday morning inside the house. He is doing well, Hazlett said.

Hazlett said about 200 people spent hours Thursday night looking for Pablo in the neighborhood.

“I am grateful for everyone’s help, and I’m appreciative of my neighbors and first responders because they did a wonderful job,” she said.

Zeek said the homeowner’s insurance company is involved, and the house is not a total loss.

“People who heard (lighting strike the chimney) said they never heard anything like it,” Zeek said.

Mirror Staff Writer Russ O’Reilly is at 946-7435

COMMENTS