Resident says state police shot, killed dog

ASHVILLE – A woman said state police shot a dog unprovoked Sunday while she was trying to rescue it.

Ellen Whited of Gallitzin Township said she was driving home Sunday afternoon about 4:30 p.m. when she saw two men and a dog standing along Route 36.

Whited said she stopped her car because the dog looked like hers, but the men yelled at her to keep away because the dog – which Whited said looked like a black Lab mix – “followed me right to my car” and stuck its head through the window.

Soon after, a state police officer from Ebensburg arrived, she said, and told her to leave.

“I sat there. The dog was fine as long as everybody left it alone. There was no aggression. There was no growling. There was … nothing,” she said, but the officer threatened to arrest her if she didn’t drive away.

“I pulled away. Biggest mistake of my life. And the cop shot the dog. … And [two state troopers] whipped it over in the bushes,” she said. “The minute I pulled away, he shot it.”

She said the officer told her a dog warden had been called and was en route, but said she doesn’t think they ever called one.

Cambria County Dog Warden Mark Miller

was unavailable for comment.

Whited has since contacted state police, who she said told her the dog “turned” on the officer.

“The cop said [the dog] was aggressive, and he had to shoot it because there was a visible wound,” she said police told her, but when she retrieved the dog’s body to bury it, she couldn’t see any.

“There’s nothing. The only wound that’s on the dog is a bullet hole,” she said.

State police public information officers did

not return calls for comment.

State police answering the phone at Ebensburg said supervisors were unavailable for comment.

Whited said she doesn’t think the officer who shot the dog will be disciplined but said she’s hoping to at least find its owner to tell them what happened, and that she has its body.

“It had a collar on it – a black collar, just like my dog,” she said. “I would’ve brought the dog home, and I would’ve taken care of it … if [the officer] had just given me 30 seconds.”