Man gets probation for PSU assault

HOLLIDAYSBURG – A Philadelphia man who came to Penn State Altoona for a round of weekend parties last fall was sentenced Thursday to five years’ probation for indecent assault of a female student.

While David Anthony Roman, 21, will not have to serve time in prison, he will be required to register as a sex offender twice annually with Pennsylvania State Police for the next 25 years.

Blair County Senior Judge Hiram A. Carpenter told Roman that he still must face a hearing to determine if he is a sexually violent predator under Megan’s Law.

Roman’s Philadelphia attorney, Carson B. Morris, asked if Roman could serve his probation in Philadelphia County.

Carpenter saw no problem with that, but the judge said he wanted Roman to undergo mental health and drug and alcohol evaluations in Blair County.

The victim of Roman’s assault sat with her parents in the Blair County courtroom as Carpenter sentenced Roman.

The family wanted to be present for the conclusion of the case but told the judge they did not want to speak.

Roman said he had nothing he wanted to tell the judge before sentencing.

He entered guilty pleas to charges of indecent assault, simple assault and furnishing alcoholic beverages to a minor.

The charges stemmed from Roman’s attempts to sexually assault a young female student in her Oak Hall room during the early morning of Oct. 6, 2013.

Roman had come to the Altoona campus to visit his girlfriend.

The police statement of facts indicated Roman, his girlfriend and others went to an off-campus home for a party. They then went to a second party at another home.

Roman and the young woman were both drinking. Police stated Roman purchased alcohol that the two consumed as they were “house-hopping.”

She returned to the campus between 2 and 3 a.m. on Oct. 8.

He sent her text messages, which, police said, she did not answer.

She then went to bed, but residents across the hall from her room kept her door unlocked so they could keep an eye on her because of excessive use of alcohol.

Police charged that at 6 a.m. Roman entered the room, and she awoke as he began to kiss and fondle her.

He had her arms pinned when she awoke, she told police.

The young woman reported that she told Roman, “No,” to what was happening. She told him to “Get out.”

She began to struggle and was able to free herself. She pushed him out of the room and locked the door.

Police interviewed the victim at UPMC Altoona where she sought treatment for multiple bruises.

After Roman entered pleas to three charges, Carpenter dismissed two additional charges of indecent assault, burglary and harassment.