Police: City man sexually assaulted two young girls

An Altoona man faces a laundry list of felony sex crime counts after police said he sexually assaulted two young girls in separate incidents.

Allegheny Township police arrested Philip Reid McCready, 35, of 1417 Third Ave., Wednesday morning on charges he had sex with the two girls, one who was 7 years old at the time of alleged assault and another who police said was between 1 and 3 years old.

“It’s bogus,” said McCready when asked of the allegations as he was led from a brief appearance before Magisterial District Judge Steven Jackson, who was holding hearings at Altoona’s Central Court on Fourth Street on Wednesday because of the July 4 holiday.

“I haven’t seen those people in three years,” McCready said.

According to McCready’s arrest papers, allegations surfaced in October 2010 that McCready sexually abused the 7-year-old girl. During the ensuing investigation, the girl told police that McCready abused her at a home in Allegheny Township on several occasions in 2009 and that the abuse included having sex with the girl and forcing her to perform oral sex, according to the charges.

In interviews with police, the girl referred to the abuse as the “bad thing” McCready did to her and was able to provide details of the abuse, including that she had told him to stop and that it hurt, the affidavit of probable cause in the case shows. McCready allegedly told her she had to keep it a secret and he would be mad if she told, police note.

During a forensic interview at the Children’s Resource Center in Harrisburg in April 2012, the girl allegedly told a story police say was consistent with her original allegations.

In June 2012, police learned of another possible victim, records indicate. In that case, McCready is accused of sexually assaulting a girl between March 2005 and October 2007, when the girl was between the ages of 1 and 3.

According to police, the abuse occurred in the Willowbrook Trailer Court, at McCready’s parents’ home, and allegedly involved sex with the girl. The girl was interviewed in August 2012, and allegedly told police as well as a Children, Youth and Families supervisor of the abuse. Police said the girl was treated for a sexually transmitted disease in 2007 and that afterward began to “act out more and more.”

During McCready’s arraignment, Allegheny Township police told Judge Jackson that McCready had a criminal history that included charges of the “same nature.”

“No, it was not of the same nature,” McCready countered. “It was statutory assault when I was 18 with a 14-year-old.”

McCready told Jackson he was married with two children ages 3 and 5, has mental health issues and was currently receiving Social Security payments because he was disabled.

“I thought all this got settled when CYS got involved with this,” said McCready, adding he hadn’t heard anything more about the allegations for several years.

In all, McCready is charged with four counts of rape of a child, seven counts involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a person younger than 13, three counts false imprisonment, four counts indecent assault of a person younger than 13, corruption of minors and related charges stemming from the two incidents.

Jackson set bail at $75,000 cash on each of the two cases and scheduled a preliminary hearing for July 11. McCready remains in Blair County Prison in lieu of bail.

Mirror Staff Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7458.