Community

Andrea’s School of Dance sets 25th anniversary recital

The annual recital for Andrea’s School of Dance will be “A Celebration of 25 Years.” This milestone will be recognized on Saturday at the Jaffa Shrine Center in Altoona. Curtain time is 7 p.m. Alumni will return to perform a number for this special occasion. Music from routines over ...

Tyrone library plans programs, activities

TYRONE — The Tyrone-Snyder Public Library has announced its upcoming programs and activities. Just for Kids Registration for Build a Better World, the library’s 2017 Summer Reading Program for children and teens, will kick off from noon to 5 p.m. Monday. Get an activity log and start ...

Area boy is youth honoree for Walk to Cure Arthritis

HUNTINGDON — Nine-year-old Jonathon Schneider of Huntingdon, a student at Standing Stone Elementary, recently served as youth honoree of the 2017 Pittsburgh Walk to Cure Arthritis, which was held Saturday. As youth honoree, Johnathan provided leadership in helping the Pitts-burgh Walk to ...

Bellwood library sets programs for June

BELLWOOD — The Bellwood Antis Public Library, 526 Main St., has announced its programs for June. For more information, call 742-8234. Kids in preschool through middle school will accelerate their reading at the library during the summer program “Build a Better World,” which runs ...

Club notes

AFSCME chapters to hold meetings Two local subchapters of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees will hold meetings this week. n AFSCME Retirees Subchapter 8306 will meet on Wednesday at the Patchway Road union office in Duncansville. The executive board will meet ...

Service notes

MERCEDES SHADE U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Mercedes C. Shade graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio. The airman completed an intensive, eight-week program that included training in military discipline and studies, Air Force core values, ...

ABCD presents award to Penn State Altoona

Penn State Altoona has been awarded the inaugural Rossman-Kazmaier Partnership Award from the Altoona Blair County Development Corporation. The award was presented to Chancellor and Dean Lori J. Bechtel-Wherry at the ABCD annual breakfast on May 12. The award was established to honor Bill ...

4 generations-Dubois

Courtesy photos Four generations of Denton Dubois’ family gathered on Mother’s Day in Altoona. Shown are (from left): seated — Rocco P. Alianiello of Altoona, great-grandfather, holding Denton Dubois; standing — Danielle McConnell of Scottsdale, Ariz., mother; and Ticky Alianiello ...

4 generations-Clapper

Four generations of Emma Carol Clapper’s family include (from left): front — Virginia (Fornwalt) and George Clapper of James Creek, great-grandparents; back — William Clapper of Saxton, grandfather; and Bradley Clapper of Crownsville, Md., father. The Altoona Mirror accepts photos of ...

Eagle Scout

Courtesy photo James Dean Barry Jr. earned his Eagle rank on Dec. 9 with Boy Scout Troop 15 of Bethany Lutheran Church, Altoona. His Eagle Scout project was the restoration of the benches at Tuckahoe Park, as well as placing cement platforms underneath those benches. James is a 2017 graduate ...

Yesteryear

Michelle Smithmyer of Altoona submitted this photo of the Pennsylvania Railroad tool and scale departments receiving an award for their 12-year safety record. The photo was taken in the 1940s. Readers are encouraged to send or deliver old local photographs of general interest for use in ...

A dog’s tail tells tales if you know how to listen to its signals

The older I get, the less I know. That’s a given. Although, I do recall how remarkably smart I was as a teen. I knew everything — even more than my parents. It wasn’t until I started getting older that I realized how much my parents had to endure with my false sense of sensibility. ...

Across the area

Garver YMCA offers day camp ROARING SPRING — The Garver Memorial YMCA is offering day camp to make sure kids and teens are adventurous, active and healthy this summer. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, ...

National Champions

Courtesy photo Rain Athletics Altoona was crowned National Champions at the Allegheny Nationals All Star Cheerleading Competition held at California University in California, Pa., on April 23. Both teams won first place in the Tiny Prep and Junior Prep divisions. Members of the Tiny Prep ...

YTI-Altoona wins five gold medals at SkillsUSA

Students from YTI Career Institute-Altoona earned five gold medals during the 2017 SkillsUSA Pennsyl-vania Leadership and Skills Championship held from April 19 to 21 in Hershey. More than 1,500 career and technical education students from Pennsyl-vania districts were invited to the ...

Roaring Spring library sets programs for June, July

ROARING SPRING — The Roaring Spring Com-munity Library, 320 E. Main St., has announced its activities for June and July. Library hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday Tuesday and Thursday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. The library will be closed on July 4. June 11 — RSCL Summer Reading ...

Altoona library sets activities

Altoona Area Public Library, 1600 Fifth Ave., has announced its activities for June. For more information, call 946-0417 or visit www.altoonalibrary.org. n A Father’s Day and Anniversary Card Making Class will be held at 5:30 p.m. today. The cost of the materials is $6 for two cards. ...

Across the area

AARP Smart Driver courses offered Residents can refresh their driving skills and have the opportunity to save money on their car insurance with the AARP Smart Driver courses. Courses will be offered at the following Blair County locations. Full classes are open to anyone. Refresher classes ...

Car, motorcycle club event

Blair County Antique Auto Club (BCAAC) monthly meeting, 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month, Bavarian Hall, Altoona. The next meeting is June 8. New members are welcome. For membership information, call Betty Campbell at 942-2525 or download a membership form at www.bcaac.org. BCAAC ...

Park programs

Prince Gallitzin State Park, Patton, 674-1005 Old Glendale Road Trail Hike, 10 a.m. Saturday, meet at the Bater Patch parking lot. Enjoy the beauty of the forest and shoreline along the Slate Lick branch of the lake on this 3-mile roundtrip, level hike. Wear sturdy, comfortable shoes and take ...