Community

Central PA Pets Expo has something for all

Next Sunday, Oct. 28, is an especially exciting time for pet lovers in Central PA! In addition to this column, I tackle one of my other favorite gigs as organizer of the Central PA Pet Expo and I invite everyone to come out and say hello! The annual Central PA Pets Expo will be held from ...

Patriotic salute

Courtesy photo Students from Sigel’s School of Dance, Altoona, paid tribute to local veterans by performing an All-American and patriotic-themed performance on July 1 at the Hollidaysburg Veterans Home. Shown are (from left): front row — Grace Ciofarri, Anna Bettwy, Alexus Walls, Lilee ...

Altoona, Mercy hospital alumni hold picnic

The Altoona and Mercy hospital schools of nursing held their annual picnic on Sept. 16 at the Legion Park Social Hall in Hollidays-burg. The picnic was catered by All Occasions Catering. Door prizes were donated by local businesses, individuals and the UPMC Foundation. Each person received a ...

Birthday-Joan Watters

Joan Watters of Altoona is celebrating her 90th birthday today. She was born Oct. 18, 1928, in Lilly, the daughter of Jack and Clara (Sweeney) Neff. Joan married Thomas Watters from Gallitzin. He is deceased. She has four children: Deb Watters of Stamford, Conn.; Jim Watters of Canandaigua, ...

Across the area

Buddy Walk to be held Saturday STATE COLLEGE — The Centre Region Down Syndrome Society (CRDSS) will hold its 10th annual Buddy Walk at 10 a.m. Saturday at Mount Nittany Middle School. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. After the walk, there will be food and activities for all ages until ...

Car club activities

Blair County Antique Auto Club (BCAAC) monthly meeting, 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Bavarian Hall, Altoona. New members are welcome. For membership information, call Betty Campbell at 942-2525 or download a membership form at www.bcaac.org. Altoona Corvette Club (ACC) ...

RSVP program holds volunteer recognition

The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Blair and Huntingdon Counties (RSVP) held an event May 22 at DelGrosso’s Amusement Park, Tipton, to thank its volunteers and recognize the time and effort they give to their communities. The event, sponsored by the UPMC Altoona Foundation, gave ...

Across the area

Dinner-dance to aid local fire victims A benefit dinner-dance will be held from 5 to 9 p.m. Oct. 28 at the Bavarian Hall, 112 S. 13th St., Altoona, for Steve and Kandy Keller of Altoona. Sponsored by friends, tickets include a buffet dinner and musical entertainment by the Jeff Guyer ...

Odilia makes herself at home — literally

Author’s note: Two weeks ago, I introduced you to our mighty, 8-pound, eyeless cat, Odilia, who doesn’t let her lack of sight impair her in any way. Today is the third and final installment in the three-part series. My husband, Ray, and I were on our way home from Maine with the little ...

Tamburitzans to perform Oct. 28 in Altoona

America’s Premier International Music & Dance Group, the longest-running live stage show in the U.S., will perform at 4 p.m. Oct. 28 at the Mishler Theatre, Altoona. Among the performers will be Dean Maddox, a 2014 graduate of Altoona Area High School. Newly organized, The ...

Home Nursing Agency recognizes, welcomes Family Hospice volunteers

In honor of April as Volunteer Recog-nition Month, Home Nursing Agency acknowledged the dedicated volunteers for the Family Hospice program. Volunteers fill essential roles within Family Hospice, which cares for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their caregivers. “Hospice ...

Car club events

Blair County Antique Auto Club (BCAAC) monthly meeting, 7 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month at the Bavarian Hall, Altoona. New members are welcome. For membership information, call Betty Campbell at 942-2525 or download a membership form at www.bcaac.org. BCAAC cruise-ins, 6 to 9 p.m. ...

Novel Service Awards to be presented Oct. 20

MARTINSBURG — The Martinsburg Community Library has announced the recipients of this year’s awards for outstanding community service in the area. All of the award winners will be honored at the Taste of The Cove IV Dinner and Silent Auction, on Oct. 20th at the Givler Cultural Center at ...

Park programs

Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site, Gallitzin, 886-6150 “Spirits on the Summit Walking Tour,” 6 to 8:40 p.m. Saturday. Family-friendly tours take place every 20 minutes starting at 6 p.m. The evening ghost tour of the Allegheny Portage Railroad takes 50 minutes and is ...

Across the area

McDonald’s accepting grant applications PITTSBURGH — For the 24th consecutive year, local McDonald’s restaurants are offering MAC Grants to help area middle school teachers Make Activities Count for their students. McDonald’s recognizes that lessons often become more meaningful when ...

Across the area

Therapy information available TYRONE — To celebrate National Physical Thera-py Month, Apex Rehab Solutions at Tyrone Hospital will provide an information table in the hospital’s main lobby throughout the month of October. Information about various health topics will be available, ...

Across the area

Ice cream social, powerlifting event set During October, Geeseytown Newry Evangelical Lutheran Parish, is raising $10,000 for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation in honor of three women in the parish who have been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. n From 7 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 14, the ...

PBR completes season with many awards

In May, the 2018 Pauline Baker Rogers competition team finished one of its best seasons on record, winning choreography awards, first places, special awards and overall awards. These are some highlights of this season: “Encore” in Johnstown — Most Entertaining of senior competition ...

Hartslog Day set for Saturday in Alexandria

ALEXANDRIA — The 43rd Hartslog Day, an annual heritage festival in Alexandria, will be held on Saturday, beginning at 8:30 a.m. and running through 5 p.m. For many, Hartslog Day is an event that people anticipate attending every year. Patrons shop for quality and unique items created by ...

Bringing home the Kennebunk kitty

Author’s note: Last week I introduced you to Odilia, our blind cat. In 2013, I met the little powerhouse named Odilia that now rules our entire roost. This 8-pound mite may not be big in stature but her personality exudes enough confidence to keep me and my husband, Ray — plus four dogs, ...