December events at Altoona Library
Altoona Area Public Library, 1600 Fifth Ave., has announced its activities for December.
* The library will be hosting an All Day Knit-In from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in the board room. If you have questions or would like to learn, there will be teachers available. Beginners should bring size-8 needles and some light colored yarn. This is a free program.
* Carol Scarbro will present “Essentials Oils — 12 Sprays of Christmas,” at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 4 (each bottle will be $15) and at 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 11 on “Essential Oils for Stress Relief.” This program is free and can be reserved by calling 946-0417, ext. 125.
* Get creative with “Fired Up Ceramics” at 6 p.m. Dec. 7. Cost is $5 per item. The craft will be holiday ornaments. Call 946-0417, ext. 125 to register.
* “Talk About a Good Book” discussion group, held every second Monday of the month, will take place at 6:45 p.m. Dec. 11 in the Alumni Room. December’s selection is “Interpreter of Maladies” by Jhumpa Lahiri.
* Families are welcome to enjoy a free movie at 1 p.m. Dec. 16 in the library theater; “Smurfs: The Lost Village,” rated PG, running time 90 minutes.
* “Rockin’ Robots Super Saturday” will be held at 10:30 a.m. Dec. 16 in the youth room for children ages 12 and under, along with caregivers. Children are free to explore various hand-on activities that help children develop their science, technology, engineering and math skills. Call 946-0417, ext. 123, to register.
* Children ages 6 to 12 are invited to join a Lego Club. Imagination is all that is needed. Meetings rotate between 6:30 p.m. Mondays and 5:30 p.m. Thursdays. Registration is required. Call the library at 946-0417, ext. 123, to register.
* As part of the 90th birthday celebration, the Altoona Area Public Library will be showing “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” rated PG, on the library big screen at 5 p.m. Dec. 18. This is a free event.
* Story Times: Families of young children are invited to check out the Altoona Area Public Library’s free educational story time programs for caregiver and child to enjoy together. Developmentally appropriate and enjoyable programs for children ages 1 to 5 are offered weekly. Registration is required. Please call the library at 946-0417, ext. 123, to register.
* The Friends of the Altoona Area Public Library are now selling pecans for $9 a bag at the library. Choose from cinnamon glazed, chocolate covered, caramel cluster and plain. All proceeds benefit the library.