This Mirror file photo of St. Patrick’s Parochial School in Newry was taken in June 1932. The school was established in 1921 and was administered by the Sisters of Mercy from Cresson. On April 3, 1944, a fire destroyed both the school and the convent where the sisters lived. Students continued their education in the neighboring public schools. The pastor, Father Jeremiah P. Flynn, and the parishioners were determined to rebuild the school and succeeded with their efforts by Jan. 21, 1945, in spite of wartime restrictions. The new school, convent and parish hall were dedicated by Bishop Richard T. Guilfoyle on this date in 1945. As enrollment began to grow, two additional classrooms were added later to the school. Again in 2000, ground was broken for the addition of eight new classrooms. The school and parish grounds are hosting their annual Festival in the Shade this weekend, featuring games, raffles, food and entertainment.
Readers are encouraged to send or deliver old local photographs of general interest for use in Yesteryear. Photos should be sent to Yesteryear, Altoona Mirror, P.O. Box 2008, Altoona, PA 16603, or delivered to the Editorial Department.